Passwords

Does anyone know of a utility that will specically put a password onto a
specific Windows folder, or is there an admin trick in the Administrative
Tools in the control panel?

Example "My Music" can I place a password on it preventing others from
opening it.
3 answers Last reply
More about passwords

    One cannot password-protect a folder in Windows XP.
    For a more secure method, see the following:

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286

    How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for files
    and folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Daddio" <Daddio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a utility that will specically put a password onto a
    > specific Windows folder, or is there an admin trick in the Administrative
    > Tools in the control panel?
    >
    > Example "My Music" can I place a password on it preventing others from
    > opening it.

    Not natively in XP, no. You can use permissions to deny access to other
    users, but if someone is logged in under your username, they can of course
    see all the folders you can see. There are third-party applications that
    will do what you want - do a google search

    Daddio wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a utility that will specically put a password onto a
    > specific Windows folder, or is there an admin trick in the Administrative
    > Tools in the control panel?
    >
    > Example "My Music" can I place a password on it preventing others from
    > opening it.

    Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
    allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
    applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
    of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
    and/or groups.

    HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

    HOW TO Set the My Documents Folder as Private in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399

    Of course, if you have WinXP Pro, you can encrypt the desired
    files/folders.

    Best Practices for Encrypting File System
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;223316

    As a crude work-around, if you actually prefer Win9x's way, you
    can place the file in a compressed folder, and set a password to
    uncompress the folder to view/access its contents.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm