What are Border Reivers...

...and why are they the flavor of the month?
7 answers Last reply
More about what border reivers
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Scottish bandits on horseback, mostly. See _The Steel Bonnets_ by
    George MacDonald Fraser. They were pretty colorful, conducting raids on
    both sides of the border between Scotland & England in the 1500-1700's
    (IIRC...time period may be narrower than that)

    Huck1863 wrote:
    > ..and why are they the flavor of the month?

    No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
    are flavor of the month?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    I also think the Northern English were also Border Reivers. It was not a one
    sided enterprise.

    --
    Justin Taylor
    justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

    On 17 May 2004 22:21:40 GMT, huck1863@cs.com (Huck1863) wrote:

    >..and why are they the flavor of the month?

    Being the descendant of border reivers..

    My brother, who taught at the Air Force Academy, once met an exchange
    professor from England. When they were introduced, the professor
    laughed and said, "Well, your ancestors were very naughty fellows!"

    Apparently the McHargs were a family of border reivers. My ancestors
    were forcibly relocated to Ireland, which is where my Grandfather
    emigrated from around the turn of the century.

    A story I read said that if the larder was running low, the wife of
    the clan chief would serve her master a dinner that consisted of a
    spur on a platter. It was time to take to horse and steal!

    Mac
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    William McHarg <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

    > Being the descendant of border reivers..
    >
    > My brother, who taught at the Air Force Academy, once met an exchange
    > professor from England. When they were introduced, the professor
    > laughed and said, "Well, your ancestors were very naughty fellows!"
    >
    > Apparently the McHargs were a family of border reivers. My ancestors
    > were forcibly relocated to Ireland, which is where my Grandfather
    > emigrated from around the turn of the century.

    Hard to say for certain. There are, as far as I know, no references to
    McHargs reiving. They were centered in Galloway, which is adjacent to but
    not properly the Border, and which was at the time in question still
    predominantly Gaelic in language and culture. There is an oral tradition
    that when the reiving Grahams were being hunted down and forcibly exiled,
    many fled the Border for Galloway and assumed the local name Mac-gille-
    chairge,transmuted into McHarg, to escape persecution/justice. There may be
    an element of truth to this, but it seems the transportation of the
    MacHargs stems from the religious resettlement that swept up so many
    families in Ayrshire and Galloway, including some of my own McClellan
    ancestors.

    Oh, FWIW I think the new thing for reivers is figure driven (especially
    Vendel) and the fact that for many people it's an "undiscovered country".
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    >No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
    >are flavor of the month?

    The Perry's are doing them in 40mm, Old Glory is releasing them and now Vendel!
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Actually, Outpost has had a range for some time now, Graven Images is
    releasing a line, and even Amazon have some too!

    "Huck1863" <huck1863@cs.com> wrote in message

    > >No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
    > >are flavor of the month?
    > >

    > The Perry's are doing them in 40mm, Old Glory is releasing them and now
    Vendel!
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    You gentlemen have noticed that McHarg, or Maharg is Graham spelt backwards?

    Mac-Donald Fraser cites that those Grahams who were transported to Ireland
    often changed their names to Maharg and returned to reiving.

    Might be just a tale, but a good one at that.

    Regards,
    KFrye

    Eric K <marbhachd@fraoch.org> wrote in message
    > William McHarg <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    >
    > > Being the descendant of border reivers..
    > >
    > > My brother, who taught at the Air Force Academy, once met an exchange
    > > professor from England. When they were introduced, the professor
    > > laughed and said, "Well, your ancestors were very naughty fellows!"
    > >
    > > Apparently the McHargs were a family of border reivers. My ancestors
    > > were forcibly relocated to Ireland, which is where my Grandfather
    > > emigrated from around the turn of the century.
    >
    > Hard to say for certain. There are, as far as I know, no references to
    > McHargs reiving. They were centered in Galloway, which is adjacent to but
    > not properly the Border, and which was at the time in question still
    > predominantly Gaelic in language and culture. There is an oral tradition
    > that when the reiving Grahams were being hunted down and forcibly exiled,
    > many fled the Border for Galloway and assumed the local name Mac-gille-
    > chairge,transmuted into McHarg, to escape persecution/justice. There may
    be
    > an element of truth to this, but it seems the transportation of the
    > MacHargs stems from the religious resettlement that swept up so many
    > families in Ayrshire and Galloway, including some of my own McClellan
    > ancestors.
    >

    > Oh, FWIW I think the new thing for reivers is figure driven (especially
    > Vendel) and the fact that for many people it's an "undiscovered country".

Games Video Games