What are Border Reivers...

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2004 2:21:40 AM

...and why are they the flavor of the month?

More about : border reivers

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:58:02 AM

Scottish bandits on horseback, mostly. See _The Steel Bonnets_ by
George MacDonald Fraser. They were pretty colorful, conducting raids on
both sides of the border between Scotland & England in the 1500-1700's
(IIRC...time period may be narrower than that)

Huck1863 wrote:
> ..and why are they the flavor of the month?

No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
are flavor of the month?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:30:14 AM

I also think the Northern English were also Border Reivers. It was not a one
sided enterprise.

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

On 17 May 2004 22:21:40 GMT, huck1863@cs.com (Huck1863) wrote:

>..and why are they the flavor of the month?

Being the descendant of border reivers..

My brother, who taught at the Air Force Academy, once met an exchange
professor from England. When they were introduced, the professor
laughed and said, "Well, your ancestors were very naughty fellows!"

Apparently the McHargs were a family of border reivers. My ancestors
were forcibly relocated to Ireland, which is where my Grandfather
emigrated from around the turn of the century.

A story I read said that if the larder was running low, the wife of
the clan chief would serve her master a dinner that consisted of a
spur on a platter. It was time to take to horse and steal!

Mac
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 11:07:06 AM

William McHarg <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> Being the descendant of border reivers..
>
> My brother, who taught at the Air Force Academy, once met an exchange
> professor from England. When they were introduced, the professor
> laughed and said, "Well, your ancestors were very naughty fellows!"
>
> Apparently the McHargs were a family of border reivers. My ancestors
> were forcibly relocated to Ireland, which is where my Grandfather
> emigrated from around the turn of the century.

Hard to say for certain. There are, as far as I know, no references to
McHargs reiving. They were centered in Galloway, which is adjacent to but
not properly the Border, and which was at the time in question still
predominantly Gaelic in language and culture. There is an oral tradition
that when the reiving Grahams were being hunted down and forcibly exiled,
many fled the Border for Galloway and assumed the local name Mac-gille-
chairge,transmuted into McHarg, to escape persecution/justice. There may be
an element of truth to this, but it seems the transportation of the
MacHargs stems from the religious resettlement that swept up so many
families in Ayrshire and Galloway, including some of my own McClellan
ancestors.

Oh, FWIW I think the new thing for reivers is figure driven (especially
Vendel) and the fact that for many people it's an "undiscovered country".
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 4:27:11 AM

>No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
>are flavor of the month?

The Perry's are doing them in 40mm, Old Glory is releasing them and now Vendel!
Anonymous
May 20, 2004 11:42:33 AM

Actually, Outpost has had a range for some time now, Graven Images is
releasing a line, and even Amazon have some too!

"Huck1863" <huck1863@cs.com> wrote in message

> >No idea. I didn't know they were suddenly popular. Why do you say they
> >are flavor of the month?
> >

> The Perry's are doing them in 40mm, Old Glory is releasing them and now
Vendel!
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 4:57:03 AM

You gentlemen have noticed that McHarg, or Maharg is Graham spelt backwards?

Mac-Donald Fraser cites that those Grahams who were transported to Ireland
often changed their names to Maharg and returned to reiving.

Might be just a tale, but a good one at that.

Regards,
KFrye

!