Logon Error: "command length is incorrect" (NO ONE LOGON)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've seen another post somewhere and someone else had this problem,
but I haven't found a solution. We're using WXP Pro, SP2.

After doing a repair install (the other person just had it after using
Windows Update), at logon, after entering the correct, AND VALID,
password either for a user or the Administrator, Windows Logon
displays the following Logon Message in a box:

"! The system cannot log you on due to the following error:

"The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.

"Please try again or consult your administrator."

No matter how many times logon is attempted, or with what account, the
message continues to be issued. Thus, NO ONE can logon to the GUI.

The Recovery Console can be used to logon as Administrator, but no
password is requested even though there is one in place. I've
searched the MSKB but didn't find any reference.

I am at a total loss and pulling my hair out. Please help.

Thanks,
Griobhtha

Malke

Griobhtha wrote:

> I've seen another post somewhere and someone else had this problem,
> but I haven't found a solution. We're using WXP Pro, SP2.
>
> After doing a repair install (the other person just had it after using
> Windows Update), at logon, after entering the correct, AND VALID,
> password either for a user or the Administrator, Windows Logon
> displays the following Logon Message in a box:
>

> "! The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
>
> "The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.
>
> "Please try again or consult your administrator."

When a user tries to logon, he is asked for a password and gets the
error message: "Program issued a command but the command length is
incorrect".

This is caused by Update KB885835 and booting to Last Known Good
Configuration will get them in and this seems to solve the issue. Some
people have found that it is not necessary to remove the update and
some people have had the opposite experience.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp,microsoft.public.windowsupdate,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Addendum: Same occurs in Safe Mode and after utilizing "Last known
good configuration".

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:07:37 GMT, Griobhtha <Griobhtha@ameritech.net>
wrote:

>I've seen another post somewhere and someone else had this problem,
>but I haven't found a solution. We're using WXP Pro, SP2.
>
>After doing a repair install (the other person just had it after using
>Windows Update), at logon, after entering the correct, AND VALID,
>password either for a user or the Administrator, Windows Logon
>displays the following Logon Message in a box:
>

> "! The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
>
> "The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.
>
> "Please try again or consult your administrator."
>

>No matter how many times logon is attempted, or with what account, the
>message continues to be issued. Thus, NO ONE can logon to the GUI.
>
>The Recovery Console can be used to logon as Administrator, but no
>password is requested even though there is one in place. I've
>searched the MSKB but didn't find any reference.
>
>I am at a total loss and pulling my hair out. Please help.
>
>Thanks,
>Griobhtha

Malke

Griobhtha wrote:

> Addendum: Same occurs in Safe Mode and after utilizing "Last known
> good configuration".
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:07:37 GMT, Griobhtha <Griobhtha@ameritech.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I've seen another post somewhere and someone else had this problem,
>>but I haven't found a solution. We're using WXP Pro, SP2.
>>
>>After doing a repair install (the other person just had it after using
>>Windows Update), at logon, after entering the correct, AND VALID,
>>password either for a user or the Administrator, Windows Logon
>>displays the following Logon Message in a box:
>>

>> "! The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
>>
>> "The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.
>>
>> "Please try again or consult your administrator."
>>

>>No matter how many times logon is attempted, or with what account, the
>>message continues to be issued. Thus, NO ONE can logon to the GUI.
>>
>>The Recovery Console can be used to logon as Administrator, but no
>>password is requested even though there is one in place. I've
>>searched the MSKB but didn't find any reference.

Ah, having the "addendum" information makes a big difference. The only
thing I can suggest is trying to change the Administrator password to a
blank and see if you can get in that way. Otherwise, I would guess that
whatever you were trying to fix with a Repair Install didn't get fixed
and you are looking at a Clean Install.

Boot with NTpasswd to change the Administrator password to a blank:

Clean install:

Malke