Incorrect Function

when trying to use any of my extra USB ports (F through I) or when trying to
use my floppy A drive, I get this message:

*:\is not accessible. Incorrect Function.

My systems check shows that all usb ports and drives are functioning
properly and all drivers are up to date.

Any suggestions???
2 answers Last reply
More about incorrect function

    The following is based ONLY on speculation, because I have seen this error
    message only with respect to CD/DVD drives, not USB or floppy drives.

    However, based on the research I did relating to the same error message I
    received for my CD drives, this problem may be caused by an incorrect "filter
    driver" entry in your registry. Sometimes, certain registry settings can be
    made when you install software that uses a device, and if you subsequently
    uninstall the s/w, the registry doesn't get properly reset. In the CD context,
    this seems to happen with CD/DVD writing s/w, particularly Roxio Easy CD
    Creator. According to several MSKB articles, of which 320553 is one, the
    problem is in the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" registry entries, and the
    solution is to delete them.

    The MS KB article can be found at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    Before changing your registry, at the very least make a system restore point,
    and preferably back up your registry -- just in case. See the "Important"
    warning in the MSKB article 320553.

    Note that there are 2 "Methods" described in KB 320553. Although MS suggests
    you try Method 1 before Method 2, I think Method 2 is safer, especially because
    the problem you have is not exactly the problem described in that article.

    "Method 2" from KB 320553 is to "uninstall" the devices from Device Manager,
    reboot, and let Windows find the device and reinstall the proper driver and
    registry settings. I would try this on the floppy drive first, just because
    it's a simpler device. Device Manager may not, in fact, show a question mark
    next to any of your devices. Uninstall it anyway.

    If this works for the floppy, try the USB devices. For the USB devices, use the
    "safely Remove Hardware" feature, "stop" any USB devices that are shown to be
    running (probably none in your situation), then remove them from Device Manager.

    If that doesn't work, "Method 1" also probably won't work, but it may be worth
    trying. See "Method 1" in the article for directions. But you DO NOT want to
    delete those values in the registry subkey identified in the article -- that's
    for your CD drive, which I assume is working properly.

    BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY.

    I'm not at my WinXP machine right now, so I can't give you precise information,
    but from memory --
    the subkey ending {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} identified in MSKB
    320553 is for the CD drives. Before and after this subkey are other subkeys in
    which the number within the curly braces begins with 4d36e96x, where the x goes
    (at least) from 0 to F (I don't recall, there may be more than 16, in which case
    some would end 95x or 97x). You should be able to determine by inspecting the
    values associated with these subkeys which one relates to the floppy drive.

    IF YOU CAN'T DETERMINE WHICH ONE RELATES TO THE FLOPPY, QUIT WITHOUT MAKING ANY
    CHANGES TO YOUR REGISTRY.

    If you can identify the subkey that relates to the floppy drive, and if there
    are values for "UpperFilters" and/or "LowerFilters" follow steps 4 through 8 of
    "Method 1" described in the KB article.

    I know -- because I poked around in the registry -- that there is an entry as
    described above for the floppy drive. I do not know, because I didn't
    specifically look for it, if there is a single entry for the USB hub or if there
    are separate entries for each USB device. I suspect the latter. Unless someone
    with specific knowledge adds to this thread, you'll have to do a bit of
    detective work.

    Good luck.

    Victoria wrote:

    > when trying to use any of my extra USB ports (F through I) or when trying to
    > use my floppy A drive, I get this message:
    >
    > *:\is not accessible. Incorrect Function.
    >
    > My systems check shows that all usb ports and drives are functioning
    > properly and all drivers are up to date.
    >
    > Any suggestions???

    Victoria-
    If you want to try "Method 1" --

    the subkey for the floppy disk drives has the number in the curly braces
    beginning 4D36E980

    the subkey for USB controllers seems to be the second entry from the top
    in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ and the
    number in curly braces is {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

USB Windows XP