xp creates passwords

when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen saver
comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password on
each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to be
rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it still
detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i cannot
reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says there are
newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them any
help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
--
Ricki
8 answers Last reply

    Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an occasional
    period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    questions.

    "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen
    > saver
    > comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password on
    > each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to be
    > rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it
    > still
    > detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i
    > cannot
    > reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says there
    > are
    > newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them
    > any
    > help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
    > --
    > Ricki

    ok well,
    i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its just
    a home pc

    it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen saver and
    then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start up

    reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and even
    when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one windows
    expects me to enter

    the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard drive.
    before any updates have been added. but even now after all current updates
    are on same problem.
    --
    Ricki

    "Jone Doe" wrote:

    > Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an occasional
    > period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    > questions.
    >
    > "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen
    > > saver
    > > comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password on
    > > each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to be
    > > rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it
    > > still
    > > detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i
    > > cannot
    > > reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says there
    > > are
    > > newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them
    > > any
    > > help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
    > > --
    > > Ricki

    I can barely follow what you are saying, please use capitals and
    punctuation.

    It sounds like this is your system .
    You do not have passwords on any of the accounts (though why you would know
    what passwords are on all the accounts is good question).

    Your system goes to a state through any number of normal proccesses that
    asks for a password to let you back in.

    You don't know this "phantom" password.

    Have you tried r-clicking my computer, going to manage, and using the users
    control panel to reset the passwords?

    "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen
    > saver
    > comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password on
    > each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to be
    > rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it
    > still
    > detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i
    > cannot
    > reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says there
    > are
    > newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them
    > any
    > help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
    > --
    > Ricki

    Right click the desktop. Select Properties...
    Display Properties > screensaver.. Uncheck "on resume, password protect."

    Chris

    > ok well,
    > i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its
    > just
    > a home pc
    >
    > it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen saver
    > and
    > then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start up
    >
    > reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and
    > even
    > when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one
    > windows
    > expects me to enter
    >
    > the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard drive.
    > before any updates have been added. but even now after all current updates
    > are on same problem.
    > --
    > Ricki
    >

    > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    >
    >> Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an
    >> occasional
    >> period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    >> questions.
    >>
    >> "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen
    >> > saver
    >> > comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password
    >> > on
    >> > each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to
    >> > be
    >> > rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it
    >> > still
    >> > detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i
    >> > cannot
    >> > reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says
    >> > there
    >> > are
    >> > newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them
    >> > any
    >> > help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
    >> > --
    >> > Ricki

    You are asking for help, and have been asked to use capital letters, and
    punctuation to make your post understandable but still can't manage that.
    Don't be too surprised if you don't get much help.

    "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok well,
    > i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its
    > just
    > a home pc
    >
    > it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen saver
    > and
    > then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start up
    >
    > reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and
    > even
    > when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one
    > windows
    > expects me to enter
    >
    > the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard drive.
    > before any updates have been added. but even now after all current updates
    > are on same problem.
    > --
    > Ricki
    >

    > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    >
    >> Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an
    >> occasional
    >> period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    >> questions.
    >>
    >> "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > when logging off to switch to a different user account or if the screen
    >> > saver
    >> > comes on and returns to welcome screen windows says there is a password
    >> > on
    >> > each login when there are no passwords on any and the computer needs to
    >> > be
    >> > rebooted. also i cloned the hard drive recently onto a new one but it
    >> > still
    >> > detects things from the old one even tho it is no longer present and i
    >> > cannot
    >> > reinstall certain things such as norton systemworks because it says
    >> > there
    >> > are
    >> > newer versions but they are nowhere to be found so i cannot remove them
    >> > any
    >> > help on how to fix either of these problems would be great thanks :)
    >> > --
    >> > Ricki

    Can you not offer constructive advice other than being another net nanny?

    "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
    | You are asking for help, and have been asked to use capital letters, and
    | punctuation to make your post understandable but still can't manage that.
    | Don't be too surprised if you don't get much help.
    |

    | "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > ok well,
    | > i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its
    | > just
    | > a home pc
    | >
    | > it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen saver
    | > and
    | > then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start
    up

    | > reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and
    | > even
    | > when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one
    | > windows
    | > expects me to enter
    | >
    | > the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard drive.
    | > before any updates have been added. but even now after all current
    updates
    | > are on same problem.
    | > --
    | > Ricki
    | >

    | > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    | >
    | >> Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an
    | >> occasional
    | >> period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    | >> questions.
    | >>
    | >> "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    what the hell is your problem im asking for help on a computer issue not a
    bloody english lesson.

    I cant make it much more simple then paragraphing each sentence so u can see
    each aspect of the problem.

    Ooooo no i didnt use punctuation, seriously its not that hard to read!!!!
    thanks to those who werent petty and actualy offered some help. To the others
    try and be helpfull with what is being asked instead of creating new problems.
    --
    Ricki

    "Alan Smith" wrote:

    > You are asking for help, and have been asked to use capital letters, and
    > punctuation to make your post understandable but still can't manage that.
    > Don't be too surprised if you don't get much help.
    >

    > "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok well,
    > > i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its
    > > just
    > > a home pc
    > >
    > > it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen saver
    > > and
    > > then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start up
    > >
    > > reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and
    > > even
    > > when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one
    > > windows
    > > expects me to enter
    > >
    > > the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard drive.
    > > before any updates have been added. but even now after all current updates
    > > are on same problem.
    > > --
    > > Ricki
    > >

    > > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Please start each sentence with an upper case letter, and use an
    > >> occasional
    > >> period or comma. Hopefull then someone can read it and answer your
    > >> questions.
    > >>
    > >> "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Poor little baby. Wipe the tears, there, there.

    > what the hell is your problem im asking for help on a computer issue not a
    > bloody english lesson.
    >
    > I cant make it much more simple then paragraphing each sentence so u can
    > see
    > each aspect of the problem.
    >
    > Ooooo no i didnt use punctuation, seriously its not that hard to read!!!!
    > thanks to those who werent petty and actualy offered some help. To the
    > others
    > try and be helpfull with what is being asked instead of creating new
    > problems.
    > --
    > Ricki
    >

    > "Alan Smith" wrote:
    >
    >> You are asking for help, and have been asked to use capital letters, and
    >> punctuation to make your post understandable but still can't manage that.
    >> Don't be too surprised if you don't get much help.
    >>

    >> "rick" <rick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > ok well,
    >> > i know there are no passwords because i set up the comp myself and its
    >> > just
    >> > a home pc
    >> >
    >> > it adds passwords on switch user or if the comp goes to the screen
    >> > saver
    >> > and
    >> > then returns to logon screen, but the problem does not happen on start
    >> > up
    >> >
    >> > reseting passwords will achive nothing beecause there are none set and
    >> > even
    >> > when i set one for any of the accounts it is not the same as the one
    >> > windows
    >> > expects me to enter
    >> >
    >> > the problem has been there since installing windows on a new hard
    >> > drive.
    >> > before any updates have been added. but even now after all current
    >> > updates
    >> > are on same problem.
    >> > --
    >> > Ricki