Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 problem

Last response: in Windows 7
September 18, 2012 12:59:39 AM

Hello, my login has suddenly added a secondary user with the same name as my account and when i click onto this other user it leads to my account this second user account also ahs the same name and seems to be a copy?

More about : windows problem

a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 2:24:17 AM

Sounds like a corrupted user profile. Also, please don't double post the same question.

Create a new admin user. Log into the new user. Delete the old users.

Good luck!

m
l
September 18, 2012 11:33:44 AM

thanks i also forget to mention i thought it was a virus so i ran a scan with avast (microsfot security essentials was terrible) and it removed some 'malware'' and corrupt files but this username thing remained however im gonna do what you said so thanks!
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 11:58:34 AM

Hello again
it looks like it didnt work?
I made another admin user i logged of and now the same thing happened again with the new admin user so theres one clone/copy of the new admin user and one clone/copy of the old admin user???
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 12:25:43 PM

It could be another infection...

could u try using rescue disk to scan (kaspersky / norton / etc..)

edit: forget to tell, try using rescue disk from anti viruse since the resuce disk do not load the OS, it can detect some that hidden in the OS.. (also make the rescue disk with healthy comp.)
m
l
September 18, 2012 12:34:59 PM

it could be virus , try some other anti-virus.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 12:52:27 PM

Go here and get this:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

Burn to disk. Then boot from the CD. Allow it to update and perform a full scan of your system. Delete all that it finds.

Reboot into Win 7 and check again.
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:19:55 PM

thanks alot i really apreciate your help
How do i boot from the cd do i just turn the laptop on and put in the cd?
How do i then reboot into win 7
thanks
m
l
September 18, 2012 1:22:43 PM

rdc85 said:
It could be another infection...

could u try using rescue disk to scan (kaspersky / norton / etc..)

edit: forget to tell, try using rescue disk from anti viruse since the resuce disk do not load the OS, it can detect some that hidden in the OS.. (also make the resque disk with healthy comp.)

Sorry whats rescue disk? IM using avast atm.
I also forget to mention i used microsoft saftey scanner and it said it found nothing?
m
l

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 1:38:32 PM

mo_ali93 said:
thanks alot i really apreciate your help
How do i boot from the cd do i just turn the laptop on and put in the cd?
How do i then reboot into win 7
thanks

Yes, insert the CD you burned and power the system on. Most laptops will automatically boot from CD if present.

Then after the scan is completed. Shut the system down and remove the CD. Then power the system back on and the system will boot into Win 7 as it always does.

You indicated that there may still be issues with malware/viruses, thus the recommendation to use the Rescue Disk.
September 18, 2012 4:02:58 PM

Best answer selected by mo_ali93.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:14:11 PM

COLGeek said:
Yes, insert the CD you burned and power the system on. Most laptops will automatically boot from CD if present.

Then after the scan is completed. Shut the system down and remove the CD. Then power the system back on and the system will boot into Win 7 as it always does.

You indicated that there may still be issues with malware/viruses, thus the recommendation to use the Rescue Disk.

HI i did what you said i made an avg resucue boot on my usb i turnt of my computer then turnt it on.....the boot menu didnt come automatically so i presed f8 and it took me to ''advanced boot menu'' there was stuff like safe mode etc i clicked on system recovery but there was nothing there that seemed to do what you suggested?
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 5:17:08 PM

You may need to check in your BIOS for boot options or boot order. Just make sure the optical drive is listed first (before the drive).
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:58:37 PM

How do i check my bios? im on windows 7 home premuim btw?
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 6:05:56 PM

Power the system down. Then power it back on. Usually you press F2 or DEL on most systems to enter the BIOS.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 2:30:58 AM

u will need to find in BIOS something like "Boot priorities" or "Boot selection"... and set it to the optical drive (sometimes it was model / brand /type name)

Also make sure u had burn the boot able rescue disk in the DVD/CD (u can even use USB flash disk but it had risk to be infected since it write able)...
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:04:22 PM

COLGeek said:
Power the system down. Then power it back on. Usually you press F2 or DEL on most systems to enter the BIOS.

Hey after 10 hours i manged to scan vofr virsues witht eh avg rescue(on my usb) anyway i shutdown after the scan no vrisues were found btw?
I switched the computer back on and the two usernames are still there??
When i first noticed this username problem i ran a scan with avast or comodo and it got rid of some 'malware'' and ''corupt '' files so i believe ive managed to get rid of the virus stuff before but unfortunately the double username is still there ??
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 1:46:43 PM

It really does seems that your registry is corrupted and user profiles are being affected. I suggest you backup all of your personal files and reload the operating system (clean install).

That is the safest, most effective solution at this point.

You can look at this link for help, but I think your best bet is to re-load the system:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corru...

m
l
September 19, 2012 4:46:45 PM

COLGeek said:
It really does seems that your registry is corrupted and user profiles are being affected. I suggest you backup all of your personal files and reload the operating system (clean install).

That is the safest, most effective solution at this point.

You can look at this link for help, but I think your best bet is to re-load the system:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corru...

Hey i went to the shop today adn the guy said i should get him to do a virus scan for 50 pounds then if the user problem is still there hell do what you suggested like start the laptop of fresh by deleting everything or something? do you think i should go the shop for this ?
thanks i really appreciate you helping me!
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 245 $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 4:49:51 PM

No, you have scanned and the system appears to be clean. You can reload yourself for 0 pounds.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 2:52:48 AM

COLGeek said:
No, you have scanned and the system appears to be clean. You can reload yourself for 0 pounds.

+1, True....

m
l
!