shortcut in startup folder won't startup !

July 15, 2005 10:25:56 PM

Using XP Home, SP2, fully patched up.

I have shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Startup.
Clicking on them runs the apps without any problems, but they won't load
when
windows starts.

Any suggestions? I've tried deleting and recreating the Startup folder but
no luck.

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:25:57 PM

What happens if you put it in;
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"cranberry girl" wrote:
| Using XP Home, SP2, fully patched up.
|
| I have shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Startup.
| Clicking on them runs the apps without any problems, but they won't load
| when
| windows starts.
|
| Any suggestions? I've tried deleting and recreating the Startup folder but
| no luck.
|
| Thanks!

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:15:43 AM

Strange - that works - thanks !

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
news:o 8H$upWiFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> What happens if you put it in;
> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "cranberry girl" wrote:
> | Using XP Home, SP2, fully patched up.
> |
> | I have shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Startup.
> | Clicking on them runs the apps without any problems, but they won't load
> | when
> | windows starts.
> |
> | Any suggestions? I've tried deleting and recreating the Startup folder
> but
> | no luck.
> |
> | Thanks!

July 16, 2005 12:40:33 PM

It works because the "All Users" menu gets run at startup.

Unless you are loging into the "owner" account when you boot that
startup folder will not be accessed.

Only the all users folder and the folder specific to the user name you
are logging in under are run when the system is booted.

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:15:43 +0100, "cranberry girl"
<cranberrygirl@cranberrygirl.com> wrote:

>Strange - that works - thanks !
>
>"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>news:o 8H$upWiFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> What happens if you put it in;
>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "cranberry girl" wrote:
>> | Using XP Home, SP2, fully patched up.
>> |
>> | I have shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Start Menu\Startup.
>> | Clicking on them runs the apps without any problems, but they won't load
>> | when
>> | windows starts.
>> |
>> | Any suggestions? I've tried deleting and recreating the Startup folder
>> but
>> | no luck.
>> |
>> | Thanks!

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:51:55 PM

Thanks - though I am the owner & it always used to work before ....!

<Les Herrman> wrote in message
> It works because the "All Users" menu gets run at startup.
>
> Unless you are loging into the "owner" account when you boot that
> startup folder will not be accessed.
>
> Only the all users folder and the folder specific to the user name you
> are logging in under are run when the system is booted.
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:15:43 +0100, "cranberry girl"
> <cranberrygirl@cranberrygirl.com> wrote:
>
>>Strange - that works - thanks !
>>
>>"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
>>news:o 8H$upWiFHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> What happens if you put it in;
>>> \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> Menu\Startup.
>>> load

>>> but

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:20:32 PM

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:51:55 +0100, "cranberry girl"
<cranberrygirl@cranberrygirl.com> wrote:

>Thanks - though I am the owner & it always used to work before ....!

But is the User name actually "Owner" that you are loggin in on?

!