Is it safe to remove $NtUninstall files?

July 15, 2005 10:05:54 PM

Hi,

I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows directory.

Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?

I'm low on disk space, but can't figure out why, so these are the first to
get the chop!

Rgds,
Dan
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 10:05:55 PM

From: "Connor T" <madman_dan@hotmail.com>

| Hi,
|
| I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows directory.
|
| Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
| Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?
|
| I'm low on disk space, but can't figure out why, so these are the first to
| get the chop!
|
| Rgds,
| Dan

Yes if you don't plan on uninstallinga particular HotFix/Critical update. You may just want
to delete those say with folder dates older than 30 days.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On this date, Connor T extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> Hi,
>
> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows
> directory.

There's two other MB stealers:

1) Restore Points. You can safely delete older RP from System
Volume Information.

2) Temporary Internet Files stored locally on your HD by
Internet Explorer. After 18 months on XP, I have 6GB for this! I
found out the way to delete it all is to go to Tools>Delete
Files, and put a check in the Delete all offline content.

--
ATM, aka Jerry
July 15, 2005 11:28:29 PM

From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net>

| On this date, Connor T extended this wisdom for the
| consideration of other readers...
|
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows
>> directory.
|
| There's two other MB stealers:
|
| 1) Restore Points. You can safely delete older RP from System
| Volume Information.
|
| 2) Temporary Internet Files stored locally on your HD by
| Internet Explorer. After 18 months on XP, I have 6GB for this! I
| found out the way to delete it all is to go to Tools>Delete
| Files, and put a check in the Delete all offline content.
|
| --
| ATM, aka Jerry

The IE cache (TIF) only needs to be ~10MB !

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 12:41:12 AM

Connor T wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows directory.
>
> Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
> Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?
>
> I'm low on disk space, but can't figure out why, so these are the first to
> get the chop!

Hi,

For folders you can consider deleting and other disk cleanup tips,
take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%2368Pw4rlEHA.3712...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 16, 2005 1:39:05 AM

On this date, David H. Lipman extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net>
>
>| On this date, Connor T extended this wisdom for the
>| consideration of other readers...
>|
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows
>>> directory.
>|
>| There's two other MB stealers:
>|
>| 1) Restore Points. You can safely delete older RP from
>| System Volume Information.
>|
>| 2) Temporary Internet Files stored locally on your HD by
>| Internet Explorer. After 18 months on XP, I have 6GB for
>| this! I found out the way to delete it all is to go to
>| Tools>Delete Files, and put a check in the Delete all
>| offline content.
>|
>| --
>| ATM, aka Jerry
>
> The IE cache (TIF) only needs to be ~10MB !

Maybe so, but IE ignores the setting for how much disk space
you want allocated and just goes on a HD spending spree by
putting the files into some kind of hidden area in the temp
folder. When I finally found this last week, I had over 6 gig,
with 283,000 files, in several hundred folders, all hidden
from view even though I had everything set /not/ to be hidden.
So, beware, local storage can be a /major/ HD space eater!

--
ATM, aka Jerry
Anonymous

From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net>

| Maybe so, but IE ignores the setting for how much disk space
| you want allocated and just goes on a HD spending spree by
| putting the files into some kind of hidden area in the temp
| folder. When I finally found this last week, I had over 6 gig,
| with 283,000 files, in several hundred folders, all hidden
| from view even though I had everything set /not/ to be hidden.
| So, beware, local storage can be a /major/ HD space eater!
|
| --
| ATM, aka Jerry

Nope... You can happily set the max. amount of cache disk space allocation and it is a
setting that I strongly suggest to be set.

start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options
General --> settings --> amount of disk space to use --> 10MB

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
July 16, 2005 7:43:55 PM

Connor T <madman_dan@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
> Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?

Yes, and this tool does it for you pretty easily:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

HOWEVER, do NOT delete \windows\$hf_mig$ and its folders, which are
another copy of the same stuff. These are in fact needed, in case you
ever need to do a sfcscan or certain types of application installs.

Also, if you look in \windows\software distribution\download you'll find
that windows update has saved all the updates it has downloaded for you;
these too can be deleted to free up disk space.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 4:08:57 PM

> Yes, and this tool does it for you pretty easily:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
>
> HOWEVER, do NOT delete \windows\$hf_mig$ and its folders, which are
> another copy of the same stuff. These are in fact needed, in case you
> ever need to do a sfcscan or certain types of application installs.
>
> Also, if you look in \windows\software distribution\download you'll find
> that windows update has saved all the updates it has downloaded for you;
> these too can be deleted to free up disk space.

Excellent, thanks to everyone for all the replies, managed to free up a good
few gb now!

Rgds,
Dan
!