RAiID 5 DIY Question

QuestorJones

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I am trying to do the RAID 5 configuration on my system (Raid 5 for Windows XP How to on Tom's Hardware). I got all the drives connected and made the hex changes in all necessary directories, but I am now stuck.

At this point the tutorial says to simply "convert all drives that will be used in the Raid 5 setup to Dynamic", but it never says exactly how I am supposed to accomplish that !

Could someone please tell me how to convert the drives to Dynamic (step by step)?:

Thanks !!

sturm

Splendid
right click my computer and goto manage. this brings up a window. go down to Disk Management under Storage.
This will show all the drives connected.
In the lower part is a graphical display of the partitions, file system type, and status.
Find the drives that you want to convert to dynamic.
Right click where it says disk 0 or disk 1 or disk ?
select convert to dynamic.
hope this helps a little

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I believe you also must remove all partions before you get those options, which makes sense since any information on the drives are going to be wiped anyway.

Please Post when you get it working :)

If you feel like it start PC with two drives disconencted and see if you can recover by restarting with them connected again or whether you lose everthing.

With a highpoint Raid 5 controller you usually can recover by restarting with the drives reattacked and I was wondering if software Raid is just as robust.

(BTW any Raid 5 controller without XOR hardware is actually slower than Windows XP software Raid 5!)