desktop is broke

Hello All,

A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer all
my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't click
on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back to normal
but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add shortcuts and folders
and they work and open from the desktop, but I cannot do it from the desktop
directly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Mel
3 answers Last reply
More about desktop broke

    Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

    Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

    Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    Windows XP SP2
    http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:5dSdnUK4r-0LY0rfRVn-1Q@scnresearch.com,
    KPU News Groups <sunwolf_ac@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer
    > all my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
    > except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
    > nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't
    > click on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back
    > to normal but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add
    > shortcuts and folders and they work and open from the desktop, but I
    > cannot do it from the desktop directly.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Mel

    Are you posting from the problem machine (Microsoft Outlook Express
    6.00.2800.1478)?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    KPU News Groups wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer
    > all my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is working
    > except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the menu
    > nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't
    > click on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back
    > to normal but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add
    > shortcuts and folders and they work and open from the desktop, but I
    > cannot do it from the desktop directly.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks in advance!
    > Mel

    My apologies for getting back to you so late. The job had me so busy I was
    not able to get to this problem till now. Thru one of the links below I was
    able to fix the problem by removing the bad context handle from the
    registry.

    Thanks for you suggestion I would never have figured that out on my own!

    > Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
    >
    > Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
    >
    > Right click causes an error and crashes Explorer.exe after installing
    > Windows XP SP2
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:5dSdnUK4r-0LY0rfRVn-1Q@scnresearch.com,
    > KPU News Groups <sunwolf_ac@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > A while back I got a new computer and used Laplink's PCMover to transfer
    > > all my files & programs from the old box to the new. Everything is
    working
    > > except for one thing. When I right click the desktop to bring up the
    menu
    > > nothing happens for like 30-40 seconds. The system freezes, you can't
    > > click on anything or open anything. Then it will flash and will be back
    > > to normal but no menu. I can go in thru windows explorer and add
    > > shortcuts and folders and they work and open from the desktop, but I
    > > cannot do it from the desktop directly.
    > >
    > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    > > Thanks in advance!
    > > Mel

Windows Explorer Desktops Microsoft Windows XP