CyberPower, Before you buy

looper88

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I entered in to buying from CyberPower with nothing but a positive outlook. I checked them out on-line and heard good things and a few not so good, which happens with all. I should have listened. I ordered it in Nov 2008 and it is now Jan 2009 and I just got it back from CyberPower. The list of problems will be listed below, as it came to me BRAND NEW. They can not be testing or checking the built units out before pushing them out the door or some of the problems would have been found EASILY!

Here is a list of problems that came with my new unit and one of my mails to them regarding it:

BELOW IS A LIST OF PROBLEMS I FOUND WHEN I GOT THE UNIT THE FIRST TIME FROM Cyber Power.

Dec 2008
Hello Mike
I am sending an e-mail regarding a number of issues I am having with the unit I received from you on 11-18-08. I called support on Monday and was on hold when I was asked to leave my phone # and you would return my call. I never got a return call!
This is a list of the issues I have found with the new unit I received from you.They were all present from the start.
1. When I took the unit out of the box 2 small chromed screws fell out of the case.
2. I have to unplug the unit and plug it back in each time to turn it on. (Each and every time). Apon boot up it locks up and the desktop takes around 10 minutes to populate with icons before I can use it.
3. On the first start-up I got 2 error code messages. 1. CMOS check sum error - defaults loaded. 2. LED error M56.
4. None of the 4 USB2 ports on the top front of the case work. (DOA) I have not checked the sata and other port, but I am guessing they are also dead.
5. Only 1 of the 2 extra fans I ordered is installed.
6. The OS (My Comp) shows the A Drive as a Floppy Disk Drive, there is none.
7. The operating system runs slower than my 9 year old Dell with XP. It even takes approx 1 minute to boot up.
Are the following things normal S.O.P. for CyberPower?
8. There are no updates to the XP. OS. Everything is running on several versions older than present versions.
9. I ordered this unit with MS Office but is not installed.
10. Except for the MB I did not get any documentation for this unit. No manuals or even general info for components such as the vid cards.
11. There is an audible humming coming from the sound system

These are the items I found so far with only a short time running the unit. I do not have time to trouble shoot and sort through problems, this is why I did not build it my self. I need to be using this unit for graphic design work in addition to gaming testing and at this time I am still doing my work on an older unit I just reformatted. (Dell).

Jan 2009
I just got the comp going after getting it back for a second time. Upon firing it up I found through an error message that the sound system does not work. Sure enough, it does not.
I still need to unplug the unit and plug it back in to start it, each and every time.

only 2 of the 4 USB ports on the front of the case work. I do not know about the other ports on the front or back, yet.

So, I have a $2,500 paper wieght at this point which I paid for 2 months ago.

One other observation I have is that there is very little or no contact with you, unless you persue them.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Holy crap you paid a company $2500 for a build? Most of the issues are very easy fixes, but require some computer knowledge

Free screws ftw!! As long as there arent any components rolling around, shouldnt worry about it they probably just fell in while being built.

The unplugging thing is probably something to do with the PSU being shoddy and not powering down correctly.
The bootup is down to the large amount of bloatware that companies like this put on their PC's Look in the bottom right systray and identify the programs that are doing nothing

CMOS error means your BIOS doesnt save properly. Most probably the mobo is second hand as the battery is probably losing power if it cannot store the BIOS data.
Could not suggest what the other one is, i imagine its mobo specific.

Theres a wire coming out of the back of the USB that should have a good contact with the bottom of your motherboard (assuming this is a tower PC in a typical configuration) If the wire is loose then its just a case of googling your mobo for the correct port.

Easy fix, 3 pin fans goto the mobo socket (see above) 4 pin straight to the PSU

meh....dont worry about it mine does too. Unless you ordered one that is

1minute to boot is about right tbh. OS shouldnt be slow for $2500 though

Easy to fix providing they didnt give you a pirated OS :D Just get on the MS website and get to SP3

Then you have been scammed, sir

You can retrieve all this from the respective component manufacturers website. Should only really need the mobo layout guide to fix most the stuff.

From the speakers? usually means they have been operated at too loud an output.

/bored@work >.<