Installing apps and internet access issues...

If I have a profile set up with "administrative rights" on an XP Pro SP2
machine but have configured that users profile as "private", what happens
when that user installs an application? Will that new app be availabale to
all other users on the machine or will it only be available to the user
installing the app?

Also, I have been asked if there is any way to set up this machine so that
the kids who also use this machine to access the internet can only access
the internet between certain time frames.. I know there is 3rd party
software available to do this type of thing. Can someone recommend a good
one OR is there something available in the Service Pack 2's security center?
I didn't see anything...

Thanks,

Brad
1 answer Last reply
More about installing apps internet access issues

    The private profile only applies to to files and folders and not apps. Apps
    will show a shortcut icon to other users. I recently set up a machine for a
    friend and the requested limits for their childrens logins and full admin
    rights for theirs. This is how I did it

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293655

    Keep in mind it takes some forethought and plannng and a little patience.
    --
    Don Kendrick

    "Brad Pears" wrote:

    > If I have a profile set up with "administrative rights" on an XP Pro SP2
    > machine but have configured that users profile as "private", what happens
    > when that user installs an application? Will that new app be availabale to
    > all other users on the machine or will it only be available to the user
    > installing the app?
    >
    > Also, I have been asked if there is any way to set up this machine so that
    > the kids who also use this machine to access the internet can only access
    > the internet between certain time frames.. I know there is 3rd party
    > software available to do this type of thing. Can someone recommend a good
    > one OR is there something available in the Service Pack 2's security center?
    > I didn't see anything...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Brad

Internet Access Apps Windows XP