Playstation 2 audio question

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
is there a device (doesnt require power supply from mains) which allows me to connect the red/white audio inputs from my ps2 to my headphones?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by matrixripoff on 01/15/05 01:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
There is an adapter, but dont expect there to be much volume form it. It only carries a low voltage signal that is meant to be amplified.

Go to walmart, get a pair of $5 extermal powered speakers with a headphone jack and go from there.

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
walmart.com

This is if you live in america. Im sory. It did slip my mind that you may not be. Any stereo powered speakers with an adapter will work :D

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
isnt there something else apart from normal stereo speakers like a mini small size amplifier with red/white input ports and a headphone jack?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can use adapters to connect headphones and it will probably be "loud enough". The problem is that you'd need more than 1 adapter because all the RCA to minijack adapters I've seen are either male-female or female-male. So you'd need gender changers too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sure, you could pick up a <A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_002_001_002&product_id=274-883" target="_new">Stereo RCA female (2-jacks) to Stereo 1/8" headphone (male) adapter</A> to do the cable conversion, then a <A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_002_001_003&product_id=274-1555" target="_new">Coupler</A> to change the headphone plug (male) to a headphone jack (female).

Oh, and if you want all gold, you'd just get a <A HREF="http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&category_name=CTLG_007_002_001_003&product_id=274-886" target="_new">Different Coupler</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
so i can connect my ps2 red/white (audio) cables to this adapter then use a coupler. great idea!

does the coupler make the adapter AUDIO OUT or AUDIO IN?

but how is the sound level because theres no amplifier involved?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by matrixripoff on 01/18/05 06:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PS/2 isn't SUPPOSED to have audio IN, it's SUPPOSED to have audio OUT, to a TV! The adapter changes it from RCA audio out to 1/8" stereo minijack out. The coupler allows you to connect your headphones by making it a female connector.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, BTW, sound level should be similar to many sound cards at full volume on the "line out" jack. The reason is that most soundcards these days don't have an amplified headphone jack, just a line level jack. Headphones are line level too.

TRENDING THREADS