What does this folder do?

I noticed a folder in windows named "Prefetch" is has many files some
of which are spyware exes that show on my computer. Can these files
or folder be deleted withpout causing any problems?
Thank you
3 answers Last reply
More about what folder

    Yes. Windows XP will rebuild that file after a couple of reboots.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "blarney@optonline.net" wrote:

    > I noticed a folder in windows named "Prefetch" is has many files some
    > of which are spyware exes that show on my computer. Can these files
    > or folder be deleted withpout causing any problems?

    That folder should consist of the file "Layout.ini" and more or less
    files with the .pf extension only. If there are any .exe files in that
    folder, you can delete them safely. If these files are 'in use', you
    can't delete them anyway. Note that these .exe files may re-appear as
    long as your system isn't clean.

    --
    d-d

    Yes you can delete without any problems and disable the prefetch folder
    without any consequences as well. Some argue it improves system performance
    by doing so.

    - Winux P

    <blarney@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >I noticed a folder in windows named "Prefetch" is has many files some
    > of which are spyware exes that show on my computer. Can these files
    > or folder be deleted withpout causing any problems?
    > Thank you

Computers Microsoft Spyware Windows XP