  • Desktops
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 15, 2005 4:03:02 PM

I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the ones
that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
--
Sheryl

More about : red desktop

July 15, 2005 4:48:03 PM

I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
--
Sheryl

"Sheryl" wrote:

> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the ones
> that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
> don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
> --
> Sheryl
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 11:32:24 PM

"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
> ones that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the
> code.

Right click that 'box' (icon) and see if you can delete it.

> I don't know how it got there.

Scan your system for malware (viruses, worms, trojans, spyware).

--
d-d
July 16, 2005 12:22:04 AM

"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.

A long shot in the dark:
Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button > Web tab >
untick all items. BTW, I doubt that you have scanned your system for
malware in the meantime. Just do it right now.

--
d-d
July 16, 2005 12:22:05 AM

I will be happy to try both your ideas. Will get back to ya...
--
Sheryl

"Detlev Dreyer" wrote:

> "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
>
> A long shot in the dark:
> Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button > Web tab >
> untick all items. BTW, I doubt that you have scanned your system for
> malware in the meantime. Just do it right now.
>
> --
> d-d

July 16, 2005 12:22:06 AM

Detlev Dreyer...you, my friend, are a savior! It worked! Thank you, thank
you, thank you. I hope you have a fabulous day!:)  :)  :)  :)  (: (: (: (:
--
Sheryl

"Sheryl" wrote:

> I will be happy to try both your ideas. Will get back to ya...
> --
> Sheryl
>

> "Detlev Dreyer" wrote:
>
> > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
> >
> > A long shot in the dark:
> > Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button > Web tab >
> > untick all items. BTW, I doubt that you have scanned your system for
> > malware in the meantime. Just do it right now.
> >
> > --
> > d-d

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 1:15:02 AM

"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
> --
> Sheryl
>

> "Sheryl" wrote:
>
>> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
>> ones
>> that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
>> don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
>> --
>> Sheryl

Try r-click desktop , select properties , select desktop(tab) , change
background to none.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:56:36 AM

"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Detlev Dreyer...you, my friend, are a savior! It worked! Thank you,

You're most welcome, Sheryl.

--
d-d
January 13, 2010 8:29:19 PM

The suggestion to change the desktop background to "none" worked for me. I went a bit further and determined that the red X was associated with a corrupt JPG file that was set as my desktop background. Changing the background to anything else resolved it, so thanks for the suggestion - whoever you are!

teligence

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
(More info?)

"Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
> --
> Sheryl
>

> "Sheryl" wrote:
>
>> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
>> ones
>> that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
>> don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
>> --
>> Sheryl

Try r-click desktop , select properties , select desktop(tab) , change
background to none.

September 9, 2014 4:58:03 PM

Urban dictionaries are for kids that do not pay attention to history. While some threads refer to details that have changed since their posting, some have not changed. This detail is still relevant because it is what happens when several versions of Windows cannot find the image used for the wallpaper. It happened on a computer I am working on today. Although it is XP, some people have not upgraded yet.

I'd rather see an old discussion than wait for somebody new to suggest an answer today. An old discussion with new posts proves that it is still relevant.
!