Red X on desktop

I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the ones
that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
--
Sheryl
10 answers Last reply

    I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
    --
    Sheryl

    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
    > ones that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the
    > code.

    Right click that 'box' (icon) and see if you can delete it.

    > I don't know how it got there.

    Scan your system for malware (viruses, worms, trojans, spyware).

    --
    d-d

    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.

    A long shot in the dark:
    Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button > Web tab >
    untick all items. BTW, I doubt that you have scanned your system for
    malware in the meantime. Just do it right now.

    --
    d-d

    I will be happy to try both your ideas. Will get back to ya...
    --
    Sheryl

    "Detlev Dreyer" wrote:

    > "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
    >
    > A long shot in the dark:
    > Control Panel > Display > Desktop tab > Customize button > Web tab >
    > untick all items. BTW, I doubt that you have scanned your system for
    > malware in the meantime. Just do it right now.
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    Detlev Dreyer...you, my friend, are a savior! It worked! Thank you, thank
    you, thank you. I hope you have a fabulous day!:) :) :) :) (: (: (: (:
    --
    Sheryl

    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
    > --
    > Sheryl
    >

    > "Sheryl" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
    >> ones
    >> that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
    >> don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
    >> --
    >> Sheryl

    Try r-click desktop , select properties , select desktop(tab) , change
    background to none.

    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Detlev Dreyer...you, my friend, are a savior! It worked! Thank you,

    You're most welcome, Sheryl.

    --
    d-d
  8. The suggestion to change the desktop background to "none" worked for me. I went a bit further and determined that the red X was associated with a corrupt JPG file that was set as my desktop background. Changing the background to anything else resolved it, so thanks for the suggestion - whoever you are!

    teligence

    Quote:
    Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    (More info?)

    "Sheryl" <Sheryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't right or left click on it. Nothing happens.
    > --
    > Sheryl
    >

    > "Sheryl" wrote:
    >
    >> I have a red x in a white box on my desktop. It look exactly like the
    >> ones
    >> that show up on a web page if something is not quite right in the code. I
    >> don't know how it got there. Can anyone help??? Please???
    >> --
    >> Sheryl

    Try r-click desktop , select properties , select desktop(tab) , change
    background to none.
  9. No thanks for ressurecting a thread from July 2005. See necoring.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=necroing
  10. Urban dictionaries are for kids that do not pay attention to history. While some threads refer to details that have changed since their posting, some have not changed. This detail is still relevant because it is what happens when several versions of Windows cannot find the image used for the wallpaper. It happened on a computer I am working on today. Although it is XP, some people have not upgraded yet.

    I'd rather see an old discussion than wait for somebody new to suggest an answer today. An old discussion with new posts proves that it is still relevant.

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP