transferring files

July 15, 2005 4:26:01 PM

I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from the
Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys access
point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a wireless
card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via the
ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network to
share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see any
files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
tried? Or will what I have work at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : transferring files

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 6:53:02 PM

Youre better off running the file transfer wizard and putting the data on a
cd,
this works better than cable method plus it gives you a backup of youre
files.
Open the wizard,set as old computer,select files/folders/settings,then have
the
wizard place the files in a new folder that you created,once thru,move to cd.

"Max" wrote:

> I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
> desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from the
> Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys access
> point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a wireless
> card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
> cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via the
> ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network to
> share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see any
> files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
> walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
> tried? Or will what I have work at all?

July 15, 2005 8:45:59 PM

The crossover cable connection will be faster than the wireless, and for
purposes of a 20 GB transfer the difference will matter. First make sure
you have shared the appropriate folders on the Sony. Then try:

1. Disable the wireless connections.

2. On the Dell click Start\Run \\IPaddressofSony ENTER. Browsing is not
necessary to accomplish this transfer.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
> desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from
the
> Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys
access
> point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a
wireless
> card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
> cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via
the
> ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network
> share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see
any
> files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
> walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
> tried? Or will what I have work at all?

July 15, 2005 10:45:02 PM

Hi Max,

Also, make sure to disable the firewall temporarily during the file transfer operation. You might
also want to know more about file sharing in Windows XP:

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Internet firewalls can prevent browsing and file sharing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q298804

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
> desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from the
> Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys access
> point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a wireless
> card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
> cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via the
> ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network to
> share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see any
> files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
> walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
> tried? Or will what I have work at all?

July 15, 2005 10:59:20 PM

Do you note how many CDs would 20 GB require ? And not everyone has a DVD burner quite yet :o )

--

> Youre better off running the file transfer wizard and putting the data on a
> cd,
> this works better than cable method plus it gives you a backup of youre
> files.
> Open the wizard,set as old computer,select files/folders/settings,then have
> the
> wizard place the files in a new folder that you created,once thru,move to cd.
>
> "Max" wrote:
>
>> I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
>> desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from the
>> Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys access
>> point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a wireless
>> card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
>> cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via the
>> ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network to
>> share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see any
>> files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
>> walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
>> tried? Or will what I have work at all?

July 16, 2005 1:08:20 AM

Max wrote:
> I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
> desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from the
> Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys access
> point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a wireless
> card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
> cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via the
> ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network to
> share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see any
> files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
> walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
> tried? Or will what I have work at all?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There's no point in buying a cross-over cable if you already have them
networked wirelessly.

On each WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
is disabled on the internal LAN connection.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/hom...

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 16, 2005 2:21:01 AM

Thanks for the info Doug. I got it to work with no problems after reading
your comments. The only issue at all (which really didn't matter in this
instance) was I could never get the Sony to recognize the Dell computer. It
kept stating that it was not accessible, but the main need I had (copying
files from the Sony to the Dell) got accomplished. Thanks again!

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> The crossover cable connection will be faster than the wireless, and for
> purposes of a 20 GB transfer the difference will matter. First make sure
> you have shared the appropriate folders on the Sony. Then try:
>
> 1. Disable the wireless connections.
>
> 2. On the Dell click Start\Run \\IPaddressofSony ENTER. Browsing is not
> necessary to accomplish this transfer.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>

> "Max" <Max@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just got a new Dell laptop computer with XP Pro. I have a Sony Vaio
> > desktop with XP Home. I am trying to transfer about 20 GB of files from
> the
> > Sony to the Dell. Both computers are on a wireless network (Linksys
> access
> > point router with high speed cable connection). Each computer has a
> wireless
> > card and connect individually to the internet. I purchased a crossover
> > cable, as I was told this would work, and connected the 2 computers via
> the
> > ethernet port. I then attempted to set up the computers on a home network
> > share files, but to no avail. The Dell can ping the Sony but cannot see
> any
> > files. The Sony can see (but not ping) the Dell. Is there a tutorial to
> > walk me through this process or is there an easier way that what I have
> > tried? Or will what I have work at all?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

July 16, 2005 2:22:02 AM

Also, thanks everyone else for your help!

Max