Overclocking RAM?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
One of my friends has some PC2700 Kingston memory that conveniently uses the same chip as the the PC 3200 RAM. He "overclocked" it all the way to 200 Mhz.
I've never heard of overclocking RAM before, so I've gotten interested in it. I have Centon PC 2700 512MB RAM. (I got it really cheap, two sticks for $80 total)
I'm not positive, but I think they're model number C512M/IFVL, but the Centon site is too vague that I have no clue what chip it's using... The only google result was from the Centon site. >.<
My two questions are, what is the chip part number and can RAM be run beyond the rated speed if it is PC 2700? My guess is no on the second question.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anything that runs normally at standard speed can be overclocked, the question is, how far? Only you can answer that, through testing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, I figured that might be the kind of answer I'd get. =)
I was already planning on going like 5 Mhz at a time until it gets unstable, but I didn't know for sure if RAM was different about overclocking or not since I've never heard of it...*slaps self*
..Except on a VIDEO CARD! I can't believe I didn't make the connection. *slaps self again*