virtual memory too low windows xp sp2 home edition

July 15, 2005 7:10:01 PM

i have been fighting this for months. trying different suggestions and
currently the computer is set to make the adjustments for me. but when it
happens it adjusts the size and then not very much longer we do it again.
most of this happens on ebay.... if that helps at all.
i did a google search and found a site online,
http://askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_fix_too_little_virtu...
, that suggested i find out which program was using the most VM size and
then uninstall it and reinstall it.
so i checked my windows task manager and found out that iexplore.exe has mem
usage 46,660k and VM size 196,772k. the next largest is explorer.exe with mem
usage of 8,532k and VM size of 19,008k.
how do i uninstall the iexplorer.exe and then reistall it?
also, do i do the same with explorer.exe or do i just delete that one? i am
asuming that the smaller version is the older version. i don't think i
deleted it when i updated the software.
i also found that i had loaded the sp2 upgrade twice...:)  so i did delete
one of them.
if this sounds like i know what i am doing, believe me, i don't. i am self
taught and i just try to follow the bouncing ball...:)

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, scott

ps: i have a dell dimension 8200 pentium 4 cpu 1700MHz 1.69GHz 256 MB of Ram
with a C drive with a total size is 55.8 GB and there is 36.9 GB of free
space. i also read somewhere that i should have at least 384 MB of
RAM....which means i need to buy some more memory.....
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 6:37:07 AM

Hi

Please have a look at the following article by the late Alex Nichol:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--

Will Denny