dam ms, and their not able to handle sata

Thermonite

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004
jst got a new comp with sata only, trying to install xp pro and it cant detect my hdd i need the driver to power them.
Ga-81925-g
wd 36gb 10k

--------MY RIG-------
P4 3.0 HT 775
GA-81925X-G
512x2 DDR2-533
GA 6600GT
WD Raptor

chuck1212

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Does your bios detect them fine? And have you tried using knoppix or some other boot utility to make sure that the problem is fully in windows?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I just did an unattended XP sP2 install on my new Raptor (WD740GB) no problem.

My Abit NF7-S2 recognizes its two SATA ports the same as the other IDE channels.

Obviously check the BIOS to see that the SATA controller is enabled and bootable.

If your SATA controller requires special drivers and these drivers are not included in your Windows installation CD then you are going to have to press F6 durring setup and load the drivers from a flopppy.

Also I think Microsoft adds more controller drivers with each service pack so you should be installing from an XP SP2 CD.

Obviously make sure that the SATA controller is enabled in the BIOS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He has to make certain RAID mode if off and that he's using the chipset controller, rather than an add-in controller, to get the drives recognised on the standard controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>