Did my CRT monitor die? (everything looks kind of pinky-ish)

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
955df_g.jpg

Thats it.

My very loved Samsung SyncMaster 955DF 19' monitor looks all in a pink-ish tone. I tried it with different PC's with different graphic cards, so its 100% sure it is the monitor itself. I don't know what to do, since I can't stand any LCD because of ms, even if it is only 2ms. (and those are still way too expensive to be worth a purchase). Let's not talk about how poor the refresh rates are still on LCD's. I used to play Q3 at 800x600 at 120hz on my Samsung, that thing was the smoothest, most responsive thing ever. I play competitively fast paced 1v1 games like Q3 on tournaments, so I want everything to be 0ms responsive with the higher hz rates possible, even if I have to play at lower resolutions to archieve 120hz. Have you asked yourself why big tournaments still use CRT for that type of games?

Im not sure if a Samsung SyncMaster 955DF was an high end monitor in the CRT department, but I bought 4 years ago and I always have been happy with it, until today. So my question is, is there a way to fix my monitor, or to buy a new 19' CRT monitor nowadays? Do Samsung still sell SyncMaster 955DF?

Thanks.

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
First of all let me agree with fully you on you preference for CRTs against TFTs. TFTs are miles behind when it comes to image quality.

On that problem of yours I suspect that it is either a bent pin or a faulty VGA cable. Try fiddling with the cable a bit and see if the monitor changes colours etc.

The 955 was not high end but it was still a pretty deent monitor. Hope you can get it fixed cause it's pretty hard to find CRTs nowadays and there are not real high-end ones (Sony Trinitron, Eizo Trinitron, Mitsubishi Diamondtron) left.

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
First of all let me agree with fully you on you preference for CRTs against TFTs. TFTs are miles behind when it comes to image quality.

On that problem of yours I suspect that it is either a bent pin or a faulty VGA cable. Try fiddling with the cable a bit and see if the monitor changes colours etc.

The 955 was not high end but it was still a pretty deent monitor. Hope you can get it fixed cause it's pretty hard to find CRTs nowadays and there are not real high-end ones (Sony Trinitron, Eizo Trinitron, Mitsubishi Diamondtron) left.

Glad we agree! Also glad it was just what you said. I moved a bit the VGA cable here and there and it went back to normal. It seems if I push it to the left a bit it goes back to normal. Now, how this can be fixed? Im not experienced in playing with cables (solding etc), so I don't know.

where did you buy your monitor?

I don't really remember, was just a regular shop, Media Markt style.

amberion2dp

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I had the same problem a long time ago with my Samsung Syncmaster 550s 15" monitor. It turns out that I had placed it too close to a strong magnetic source(copper piping) and the insides had slid out of alignment. Apparently, the solution was for it to be 'degaussed', which was done at my local monitor service shop, free, as my monitor was under warranty.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006

why did they have to do that at the shop? cant you do it yourself?