Where are the PCI-E RAID cards.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I know sever motherboards use PCI-X rather than PCI-E, and that having a PCI-X product is a no brainer as its backwards compatible with regular PCI.

But you would think that with the invasion of motherbord with multiple PCI-E slots you think that someone would release a RAID controller in that format.

Or have they and I just haven't found one.

I was thinking about getting a nice SATA controller when I upgrade to a PCI-E system, but I wouldn't want to invest in a PCI card.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think they are slowly trickling out. All the ones I've seen sofar have been fairly high end for server platforms. I haven't seen any lower end models for regular consumer budgets :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I just read an article at some server hardware site.

They expect the new server motherboards to use a mix of PCI-E and PCI-X, with PCI-X disappearing withing 3 years.

I guess when the server boards get PCI-E they will start releasing the controller cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I saw a RAID controller in PCI-E, but for some god-forsaken reason they made the thing x8. Fortunatly, MSI's board with the x16 and x4 slot (rather than x16 and 4 x1's) has an open end, so an x8 card will fit into the slot with the remaining pathways of the card unused.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>