Marty

I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks. Recently, when
trying to update, the program says it downloads and installs updates but when
I check for future updates the same one supposedly already downloaded and
installed shows up again. For example, I got to definitions 5729, but 5733
was but wasn't installed several times; and then it was 5735 the same. So I
uninstalled the program and downloaded and reinstalled it. Now I have
definitions 5725 and have tried without success to download and install 5735
several times. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be? I also have
Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and Spyware Blaster.

Had the same issue and this worked for me:

Fix posted by Robin Walker [MVP] rdhw@cam.ac.uk.

After much debugging, I have found that the problem with
definition update
failures and repetition is because of an incorrect
version of the file
gcUnCompress.dll in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ (for XP) or
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ (for
2000 or systems upgraded from 2000).

The incorrect version is of length 130,272 bytes.
The correct version is of length 95,448 bytes.

To update your system to install the correct version of
the file, do the
following:

1. In the System Notification Area, right-click on the
MSAS icon and select
"Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware".
2. In Explorer, navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\, locate
the file
"gcUnCompress.dll", right-click on it, and
select "Delete".
3. In Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs",
select "Microsoft AntiSpyware"
and click button "Change".
4. Click "Next".
5. Select "Update Microsoft AntiSpyware", click "Next".
6. Click "Install".
7. When the re-installation finishes, click "Finish".
8. In Explorer, in folder C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\, check
that
"gcUnCompress.dll" is now 95,448 bytes long, by right-
clicking it and
selecting "Properties".
9. Launch MSAS, pull down the File menu and select "Check
for updates" -
this time it really will update your definition files to
the latest version.
10. In Explorer, open the folder C:\Program
Files\Microsoft AntiSpyware, and
satisfy yourself that the modification dates of the three
definition files
have changed:
gcDeterminationData.gcd
gcThreatAuditThreatData.gcd
gcThreatAuditScanData.gcd

Done!

Click the 'Signatures' link on the left
"Marty" <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks. Recently, when
> trying to update, the program says it downloads and installs updates but
> when
> I check for future updates the same one supposedly already downloaded and
> installed shows up again. For example, I got to definitions 5729, but 5733
> was but wasn't installed several times; and then it was 5735 the same. So
> uninstalled the program and downloaded and reinstalled it. Now I have
> definitions 5725 and have tried without success to download and install
> 5735
> several times. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might be? I also have
> Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and Spyware Blaster.

On this date, =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?= extended this wisdom for
the consideration of other readers...

> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks.
> Recently, when trying to update, the program says it
> downloads and installs updates but when I check for future
> updates the same one supposedly already downloaded and
> installed shows up again. For example, I got to definitions
> 5729, but 5733 was but wasn't installed several times; and
> then it was 5735 the same. So I uninstalled the program and
> downloaded and reinstalled it. Now I have definitions 5725
> and have tried without success to download and install 5735
> several times. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might
> be? I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and Spyware
> Blaster.
Your experience is precisely why I don't beta test and don't buy
the version 1.0 of anything. I let other people destroy their
sanity and their systems, I only come in after reports show that
the product is stable.

Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
for the fun of it.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

1. It's a *beta* application.

2. Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the Microsoft Windows
AntiSpyware Beta. Please post your query to one of the newsgroups (or read
given in replies):

Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Marty wrote:
> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks. Recently, when
> trying to update, the program says it downloads and installs updates but
> when I check for future updates the same one supposedly already
> downloaded and installed shows up again. For example, I got to
> definitions 5729, but 5733 was but wasn't installed several times; and
> then it was 5735 the same. So I uninstalled the program and downloaded
> and reinstalled it. Now I have definitions 5725 and have tried without
> success to download and install 5735 several times. Anyone got any ideas
> what the problem might be? I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and
> Spyware Blaster.

Alias

"All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in message
> On this date, =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?= extended this wisdom for
> the consideration of other readers...
>
>> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks.
>> Recently, when trying to update, the program says it
>> downloads and installs updates but when I check for future
>> updates the same one supposedly already downloaded and
>> installed shows up again. For example, I got to definitions
>> 5729, but 5733 was but wasn't installed several times; and
>> then it was 5735 the same. So I uninstalled the program and
>> downloaded and reinstalled it. Now I have definitions 5725
>> and have tried without success to download and install 5735
>> several times. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might
>> be? I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and Spyware
>> Blaster.
> Your experience is precisely why I don't beta test and don't buy
> the version 1.0 of anything. I let other people destroy their
> sanity and their systems, I only come in after reports show that
> the product is stable.
>
> Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
> and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
> the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
> reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
> for the fun of it.
>
> --
> ATM, aka Jerry

Well said.

--
Alias

Marty

I looked for a special group before posting this, but obviously didn't find
it. Thanks for your direction. Robin Walker's instruction for a fix worked.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in news:OFU
$2CbiFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> "All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in message
>> On this date, =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?= extended this wisdom for
>> the consideration of other readers...
>>
>>> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks.
>>> Recently, when trying to update, the program says it
>>> downloads and installs updates but when I check for future
>>> updates the same one supposedly already downloaded and
>>> installed shows up again. For example, I got to definitions
>>> 5729, but 5733 was but wasn't installed several times; and
>>> then it was 5735 the same. So I uninstalled the program and
>>> downloaded and reinstalled it. Now I have definitions 5725
>>> and have tried without success to download and install 5735
>>> several times. Anyone got any ideas what the problem might
>>> be? I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka, and Spyware
>>> Blaster.
>> Your experience is precisely why I don't beta test and don't buy
>> the version 1.0 of anything. I let other people destroy their
>> sanity and their systems, I only come in after reports show that
>> the product is stable.
>>
>> Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
>> and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
>> the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
>> reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
>> for the fun of it.
>>
>> --
>> ATM, aka Jerry
>
> Well said.

I DO KNOW for a fact, that after wasting 6 or 7 hours of MY time over 2
days trying to clean the 'APA Internet Enhancement' package of of
someone's computer using the standard tools....Spybot, AdAware,
HiJackThis!, manual registry examination and cleaning, etc., 30 re-boot's
later and with an all-time high of level of frustration and anger, I
decided to try M$ Anti-spyware.

One 10 minute safe-mode scan later, it was gone, never to return.

I think of it this way.....M$ Antispyware is just another tool to use.
While I still use the other's for a 'once-a-week' scan, the M$ AS
provide's realtime protection, that would have stopped that particular
package from installing in the first place. I know this for a fact
because that particular package add's to the Shell entry in the registry
under HKLM/S/M$/WindowsNT/Winlogon. I am writing a shell replacement,
which periodically requires me to change that entry from Explorer.exe to
myApp.exe to test it's full shell replacement functions. EVERY time I
change that entry M$ AS blocks it until I allow or not allow it to occur.

Also, who else should be more knowledgable about the vulnerabilities of
Windows and how you can exploit it, and how to fix it back up. Not
considering price, would you be better off taking your car to an Auto-
Tune, or to the dealer for service ? (Of course I know there are some
d**k-head dealer mechanics out there.)

I'm not saying that it is a replacement for ALL anti-spyware packages,
just that it's another tool that has been effective for me where others
have failed.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

DanS wrote:
> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in news:OFU
> $2CbiFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>

>>"All Things Mopar" <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>On this date, =?Utf-8?B?TWFydHk=?= extended this wisdom for
>>>the consideration of other readers...

>>>Your experience is precisely why I don't beta test and don't buy
>>>the version 1.0 of anything. I let other people destroy their
>>>sanity and their systems, I only come in after reports show that
>>>the product is stable.
>>>
>>>Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
>>>and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
>>>the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
>>>reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
>>>for the fun of it.
>>>
>>>--
>>>ATM, aka Jerry
>>
>>Well said.
>>

> I DO KNOW for a fact, that after wasting 6 or 7 hours of MY time over 2
> days trying to clean the 'APA Internet Enhancement' package of of
> someone's computer using the standard tools....Spybot, AdAware,
> HiJackThis!, manual registry examination and cleaning, etc., 30 re-boot's
> later and with an all-time high of level of frustration and anger, I
> decided to try M$ Anti-spyware.
>
> One 10 minute safe-mode scan later, it was gone, never to return.
>
> I think of it this way.....M$ Antispyware is just another tool to use.
> While I still use the other's for a 'once-a-week' scan, the M$ AS
> provide's realtime protection, that would have stopped that particular
> package from installing in the first place. I know this for a fact
> because that particular package add's to the Shell entry in the registry
> under HKLM/S/M$/WindowsNT/Winlogon. I am writing a shell replacement,
> which periodically requires me to change that entry from Explorer.exe to
> myApp.exe to test it's full shell replacement functions. EVERY time I
> change that entry M$ AS blocks it until I allow or not allow it to occur.
>
> Also, who else should be more knowledgable about the vulnerabilities of
> Windows and how you can exploit it, and how to fix it back up. Not
> considering price, would you be better off taking your car to an Auto-
> Tune, or to the dealer for service ? (Of course I know there are some
> d**k-head dealer mechanics out there.)
>
> I'm not saying that it is a replacement for ALL anti-spyware packages,
> just that it's another tool that has been effective for me where others
> have failed.

That's fine "if" you can get it to update (which I repeatedly cannot). A
much better alternative is Counter Spy which has very high
recommendations and is a finished product.

On this date, DanS extended this wisdom for the consideration
of other readers...

> One 10 minute safe-mode scan later, it was gone, never to
> return.
>
> I think of it this way.....M$ Antispyware is just another
> tool to use.

I have no disagreement with this. But, if someone can't stand
the problems associated with beta software, they're best off not
participating.

I'm happy that you so quickly resolved your problem. I don't use
new stuff anymore because my past experience has all been bad. I
particularly don't use /any/ M$ application, O/S, or /anything/
until I've seen the furor over problems subside and some patches
to the fixes to the upgrades appear.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

curmudgeon

All Things Mopar wrote:

> > Competitive tests have repeatedly shown that Microsoft
> > Antispyware is either #1 or #2 in overall effectiveness at
> > spyware removal.
>
> I stand/sit corrected! But, maybe my point is still valid in
> that M$ /bought/ this, and didn't /write/ it.

Ah. So the REAL issue for you is not how well it works (and it DOES
work very WELL!), but the fact the MS owns it and didn't write it, huh?

Moron.

All Things Mopar <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote:

>Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
>and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
>the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
>reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
>for the fun of it.

Actually the Microsoft Antispyware Beta version is a very slightly
modified version of Giant Antispyware, which Microsoft purchased in
2004.

Competitive tests have repeatedly shown that Microsoft Antispyware is
either #1 or #2 in overall effectiveness at spyware removal.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ron Martell wrote:
> All Things Mopar <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote:
>

>>Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps, utilities,
>>and security in general, why would you at all trust MS's view of
>>the spyware business? If for no other reason, M$ is hated and
>>reviled world-wide and is attacked for security exploites purely
>>for the fun of it.
>

> Actually the Microsoft Antispyware Beta version is a very slightly
> modified version of Giant Antispyware, which Microsoft purchased in
> 2004.
>
> Competitive tests have repeatedly shown that Microsoft Antispyware is
> either #1 or #2 in overall effectiveness at spyware removal.
>
> Hope this clarifies the situation.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

But... Ron... it is still in beta and currently many have complained
about its failure to update. Then there is the whole issue surrounding
its suggestion to ignore Claria. This does not bode particularly well
for MS Anti-spyware.

On this date, Ron Martell extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> All Things Mopar <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote:
>
>>Plus, with the long track record of mediocre apps,
>>utilities, and security in general, why would you at all
>>trust MS's view of the spyware business? If for no other
>>reason, M$ is hated and reviled world-wide and is attacked
>>for security exploites purely for the fun of it.
>
> Actually the Microsoft Antispyware Beta version is a very
> slightly modified version of Giant Antispyware, which
> Microsoft purchased in 2004.
>
> Competitive tests have repeatedly shown that Microsoft
> Antispyware is either #1 or #2 in overall effectiveness at
> spyware removal.

I stand/sit corrected! But, maybe my point is still valid in
that M$ /bought/ this, and didn't /write/ it.

Now, a question: why is it still in beta? Anybody know when v1.0
will be released?

--
ATM, aka Jerry

YW. Stay tuned to that newsgroup for the expected release of a new build of
MWAS.
--

Marty wrote:
> I looked for a special group before posting this, but obviously didn't
> find
> it. Thanks for your direction. Robin Walker's instruction for a fix
> worked.
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> 1. It's a *beta* application.
>>
>> 2. Microsoft has established separate newsgroups for the Microsoft
>> Windows
>> AntiSpyware Beta. Please post your query to one of the newsgroups (or
>> read
>> are given in replies):
>>
>> Welcome to Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Newsgroups
>> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
>>
>> Marty wrote:
>>> I've been using MS Anti-Spyware Beta 1 for several weeks. Recently, when
>>> trying to update, the program says it downloads and installs updates but
>>> when I check for future updates the same one supposedly already
>>> downloaded and installed shows up again. For example, I got to
>>> definitions 5729, but 5733 was but wasn't installed several times; and
>>> then it was 5735 the same. So I uninstalled the program and downloaded
>>> and reinstalled it. Now I have definitions 5725 and have tried without
>>> success to download and install 5735 several times. Anyone got any ideas
>>> what the problem might be? I also have Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, Bazooka,
>>> and
>>> Spyware Blaster.

All Things Mopar <useMAPSnet123@comMAPScast.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> particularly don't use /any/ M$ application, O/S, or /anything/
> until I've seen the furor over problems subside and some patches
> to the fixes to the upgrades appear.

LMAO!

Hello Dan
Im too old to wait that long