RDP on Dynamic IP Addresses

July 15, 2005 10:58:01 PM

Hello!

I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I have
not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

More about : rdp dynamic addresses

July 16, 2005 2:09:32 AM

What are you trying to connect to? FTP, Web server, mail server, Remote
Desktop??? Do you have a router between your computer and cable modem? If so,
do you have the proper ports forwarded? Which version of XP do you have? Pro,
Home, Media Center - Service pack? No SP, SP1 or SP2....

More info is needed....

drnate wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
> dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I have
> not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:54:16 AM

In article <14154B29-E484-4AD3-9EF6-8964FACAA2E7@microsoft.com>,
drnate <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
>dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I have
>not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!

Open an account with a dynamic DNS service. I use www.dyndns.org,
which assigns a DNS name to my cable modem's dynamic IP address.

When I want to connect to my home computer using Remote Desktop, I
specify that DNS name as the computer name. It works perfectly.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
July 16, 2005 8:50:32 PM

read his posts subject, it says that he is trying RDP (remote desktop)

--
Kenfucious said:

Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
"Karl" <Karl@mscon.com> wrote in message news:42D86C5C.1833B9D2@mscon.com...
> What are you trying to connect to? FTP, Web server, mail server, Remote
> Desktop??? Do you have a router between your computer and cable modem?
> If so,
> do you have the proper ports forwarded? Which version of XP do you have?
> Pro,
> Home, Media Center - Service pack? No SP, SP1 or SP2....
>
> More info is needed....
>
> drnate wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
>> dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I
>> have
>> not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks!

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 8:51:52 PM

I use www.no-ip.com free service, that gives you a constant addess.
After you sign up you download and install their utility.

--

"drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
> dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I
> have
> not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:58:51 AM

"drnate" <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I've been trying to connect to my home computer (over a DSL connection w/
> dynamic IP address) from work (DSL connection w/ static IP address). I
> have
> not been successful. Do you have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Make sure that you use the "virtual server" function of your adsl router (if
you use a router instead of PCI ADSL modem) to allow connection attempts to
port 3389 to be forwarded to the computer on your LAN you wish to connect
to.

grol
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 4:41:03 PM

OK,

Thanks for your help everyone! Here is the progress report:

Running XP SP2. Trying to use remote desktop through dynamic ip address
from work.

I have connected my computer's network cable directly to the DSL modem (it
does not have a router/firewall built in). I have registered w/ both
no-ip.com and dyndns.com and downloaded the appropriate software. Port 3389
at work is open. (Windows firewall is disabled at home to try to make this
as simple as possible.)

I can ping my computer at home now (probably b/c there is no firewall), but
still cannot get remote desktop to come up at work.

Any other steps?
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 8:15:19 PM

RDP is not turned on, by default, when you finished installing XP. You will
need to turn it on and if your user account does not have a password, you
will need to do an XP policy change, since by default RDP will not be
allowed to "login" with a user account that does not have a password.

Also, on the home PC, you will need to have a dynamic IP updater process
running so that the IP address can be published to "no-ip.com" or
"dundns.org". The dynamic IP address will change each and every time you
start up your home's dynamic IP address Internet service. It is not good
enough just to apply for a "no-ip.com" or "dyndns.org" account if the IP is
no longer the same. The easiest way of getting an dynamic IP address
update utility is to install an Internet broadband router, which most
already have a section to "publish" the updated IP address to dymdns.org. I
have good experience a Netgear RP-614 router and "dyndns.org" service.
However, I do need to do "port forwarding" from my Internet address to my
personal PC's home network IP address, but the router's on-line help and
user guide were very helpful.

> OK,
>
> Thanks for your help everyone! Here is the progress report:
>
> Running XP SP2. Trying to use remote desktop through dynamic ip address
> from work.
>
> I have connected my computer's network cable directly to the DSL modem (it
> does not have a router/firewall built in). I have registered w/ both
> no-ip.com and dyndns.com and downloaded the appropriate software. Port
> 3389
> at work is open. (Windows firewall is disabled at home to try to make
> this
> as simple as possible.)
>
> I can ping my computer at home now (probably b/c there is no firewall),
> but
> still cannot get remote desktop to come up at work.
>
> Any other steps?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:48:28 AM

In article <4A85DC4E-22A5-4CAB-9456-5918208E9F75@microsoft.com>,
drnate <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>OK,
>
>Thanks for your help everyone! Here is the progress report:
>
>Running XP SP2. Trying to use remote desktop through dynamic ip address
>from work.
>
>I have connected my computer's network cable directly to the DSL modem (it
>does not have a router/firewall built in). I have registered w/ both
>no-ip.com and dyndns.com and downloaded the appropriate software. Port 3389
>at work is open. (Windows firewall is disabled at home to try to make this
>as simple as possible.)
>
>I can ping my computer at home now (probably b/c there is no firewall), but
>still cannot get remote desktop to come up at work.
>
>Any other steps?

You're taking a terrible risk by connecting your computer directly to
the DSL modem without a firewall. No XP computer should ever be
connected directly to the Internet without a firewall. Your computer
will probably be hacked in a very short time.

ENABLE THE FIREWALL ! RIGHT NOW !!

Then, update your antivirus and antispyware programs and run full
scans.

Then create an exception for Remote Desktop on port 3389 (TCP), and
enable Remote Desktop in My Computer | Properties | Remote.

Home broadband routers can be configured to pass Remote Desktop
connections through to a computer.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 2:56:48 AM

In article <OC5rsV9iFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Yves Leclerc"
<yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:
>RDP is not turned on, by default, when you finished installing XP. You will
>need to turn it on and if your user account does not have a password, you
>will need to do an XP policy change, since by default RDP will not be
>allowed to "login" with a user account that does not have a password.

Good points!

>Also, on the home PC, you will need to have a dynamic IP updater process
>running so that the IP address can be published to "no-ip.com" or
>"dundns.org". The dynamic IP address will change each and every time you
>start up your home's dynamic IP address Internet service.

My dynamic IP address has stayed the same for weeks at a time. I've
configured the dyndns.org updater to force an update every 25 days to
keep my account open.

>It is not good
>enough just to apply for a "no-ip.com" or "dyndns.org" account if the IP is
>no longer the same. The easiest way of getting an dynamic IP address
>update utility is to install an Internet broadband router, which most
>already have a section to "publish" the updated IP address to dymdns.org. I
>have good experience a Netgear RP-614 router and "dyndns.org" service.

Your Netgear router's update function works well with dyndns.org?
That's good to know. It's not in the list of certified hardware
clients:

http://www.dyndns.org/support/clients/hardware/

>However, I do need to do "port forwarding" from my Internet address to my
>personal PC's home network IP address, but the router's on-line help and
>user guide were very helpful.

I've found that too, with my Netgear and Belkin routers.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 10:23:01 AM

Thank you everyone for your help! I was finally able to get the connection
to work. Here's what happened for any others that may have the same problem:

After making sure RDP was set up and that Windows would allow incoming
connections.

1. I used my router to forward the appropriate port to my home computer.

2. I registered for a static IP adderess with dyndns.org.

3. I installed the software from dyndns.org to allow my computer to notify
the service when my IP address changed. I also found a place on my router
where I could configure it to do the same (this did not work as well!).

4. Norton AV w/ worm protection was blocking the incoming connection, so I
configured it to permit communications through the appropriate port.

The last step took about a week to figure out. Seems someone in my
household saw that I was trying to get in and didn't know it was me. The
service was blocked at home.

Again, thank you for all your help and wisdom.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:41:12 PM

In article <6323AEC7-9096-40D7-A41A-A67160B619D3@microsoft.com>,
drnate <drnate@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Thank you everyone for your help! I was finally able to get the connection
>to work. Here's what happened for any others that may have the same problem:
>
>After making sure RDP was set up and that Windows would allow incoming
>connections.
>
>1. I used my router to forward the appropriate port to my home computer.
>
>2. I registered for a static IP adderess with dyndns.org.
>
>3. I installed the software from dyndns.org to allow my computer to notify
>the service when my IP address changed. I also found a place on my router
>where I could configure it to do the same (this did not work as well!).
>
>4. Norton AV w/ worm protection was blocking the incoming connection, so I
>configured it to permit communications through the appropriate port.
>
>The last step took about a week to figure out. Seems someone in my
>household saw that I was trying to get in and didn't know it was me. The
>service was blocked at home.
>
>Again, thank you for all your help and wisdom.

You're welcome. I'm glad that I was able to help you in the process.
I really enjoy being able to connect to my home computer from anywhere
on the Internet, and I hope that you will, too.

Anyone on the Internet can see the open RDP port on your IP address,
and there are hackers running automated scanners looking for them. Be
sure that the user names that have RDP permission on your computer
have very secure passwords that hackers can't easily guess or find in
a dictionary.

Did dyndns.org really give you a static IP address? If your account
is like mine, it gave you a domain name, like "myname.dyndns.org" that
you can use to access your dynamic IP address.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with Norton AV. I didn't know
that it was capable of causing problems with RDP.
--

!