Sign in with
Your question

SATA to IDE Converters - bad idea?

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2005 10:33:03 PM

I'm a newbie and I've read the FAQ... ;-)

Looks to me like SATA drives have a different connector than IDE drives. Ahem.

I have a slew of IDE drives I would like to use on a new mobo. I see in the FAQ that it is really preferable to have each drive on its own controller (vs. shared with a ATAPI for instance).

Is there a downside to using a IDE to SATA converter (like the link below) - am I losing much of the value of SATA in the first place?

http://www.cwol.com/serial-ata/serial-ata-ide-converter...

Thanks,
kevin
January 20, 2005 12:07:00 AM

Your better bet would be to utilize an ide card controller. Very inexpensive and can add up to 4 more ide devices per card vice having to use converter/adapters on each device.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>
January 20, 2005 6:56:03 AM

Better performance, better price?

I really do not want to burn a PCI slot...

Thanks,
kevin
Related resources
January 20, 2005 9:50:17 AM

You can get a two channel (4 device) ATA 133 controller for the price of a single ATA to SATA converter.

I would rather "Waste" one PCI slot than lose 4 SATA ports!

I would only use ATA to SATA adapters if I needed to RAID SATA and ATA drives.
January 20, 2005 2:16:57 PM

The mobo I am using has four on board sata connectors and two ide controllers.

I am using the ides for a dvd and one hdd. I have three other hdds I want to use.

given all of that seems like using one of these convertors is a good idea. Lets me not take up a pci slot while not having to order new hdds.

Is there any performance or stability downsides to using one of these sata to ide convertors?

Thanks,
kevin
!