Customize Noifications behavior profile is corrupt

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
July 16, 2005 1:06:12 AM

The "Customize Notifications" dialog box that controls the behavior of the
icons in the system tray is not working properly. All of the drop-down menus
in the Behavior column are locked onto their current state--no other option
appears. Normally this menu offers "Hide when Inactive," "Always Hide" and
"Always Show" as options.

If I create a new User Profile, Customize Notifications works properly, so
it appears that my usual profile is somehow corrupted. I have tried the
procedure in KB 811151, which creates a new pofile and then copies the
"Documents and Settings" files and folders from the corrupted profile to the
new profile. This does not solve the problem. After copying the DaS folders,
the new profile has the same problem as the old one.

I'm guessing that there's one file buried someplace in the profile that
controls this function, and that file is corrupted. Does anybody know if
that's correct, and if so, which file? Or is there some other explanation?

Using Windows XP Pro w/SP2

More about : customize noifications behavior profile corrupt

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:14:46 PM

jmr <jmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The "Customize Notifications" dialog box that controls the behavior of the
>icons in the system tray is not working properly. All of the drop-down menus
>in the Behavior column are locked onto their current state--no other option
>appears. Normally this menu offers "Hide when Inactive," "Always Hide" and
>"Always Show" as options.

Delete the data from the Registry: "How to Clear Past Items from the
Notification Area" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283084).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> jmr <jmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Clearing the Past Items does not solve the problem. After stepping through
the steps in KB 283084, the drop-down Behavior menus for current items are
all still frozen.

!