Hard Disk not shown on Windows Explorer

Nutty_

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Can't seem to find any help on this so, here goes...

Have a system with one SATA hard drive with two partitions. Windows XP is installed on the first.
Need to copy some data do another disk connected on IDE. This disk has also two partitions. Since it is from another PC it as windows XP installed also (but i think this is irrelevant) and it works fine. All partitions on both disks are NTFS.

Problem:
The BIOS aknowledges the new disk. Windows installed the correct drivers for it to work and on the control panel i get the information that the device is working correctly but... the disk is not shown on My computer, Windows Explorer, or any given program for that fact!

What could be wrong? Tried primary and secondary IDE, master, slave and single... I don't have a clue as for why this is happening. Do any of you??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does it show up under Disk Management?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nutty_

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
Yes it does!

It shows like one sinlge drive (not partitioned) and has «healthy (active)» state but when i click on it, the only task i'm allowed to do is «delete partition». Plus, it shows no volume name.

How can this be?

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Is there any data you need to keep on the second drive? If not you could try deleting the partition and reformatting using your current version of XP.

Nutty_

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004
That is not an option... The second disk (IDE) is almost full and that's the reason i want to copy the information back to the first (SATA) 120 Gigs disk.