remote desktop

Is there anyway to get the windows remote desktop on xp home addition?. I
know you can on xp professional. I don t have a xp install disk the os was
preinstalled.Please respond.
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop

    Remote Desktop is not a feature of Windows XP Home Edition. You need to
    have Windows XP Pro Edition.

    You can connect to Windows XP Pro computers from a Windows XP Home Edition
    computer, but you won't be able to connect to the Windows XP Home edition
    computer.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "tomS" <tomS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to get the windows remote desktop on xp home addition?. I
    > know you can on xp professional. I don t have a xp install disk the os was
    > preinstalled.Please respond.

    You can use a VNC program that is basically the same thing and is free

    check out these links www.realvnc.com
    www.ultravnc.com

    So I would use those... however.....

    there is also a hack that supposedly is able to make HOME to use its
    terminal services as pro does.
    I have not tried it, and it must be against MS EULA, but here is the info:

    German computer magazine C'T claims that by changing only 2 bytes from the
    file setupreg.hiv in Windows's XP Home kit, users can get access to certain
    functions only avalaible in Windows XP Professional, such as Remote Desktop,
    User management and enhanced security features.

    C'T writes in its latest print issue (in German only) that you need to copy
    the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your
    harddisk, extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD and change only 2
    bytes in i386Setupreg.hiv by using Regedit. In fact all you have to do is
    edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to "00" in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEHomekeyControlSet001Servicessetupdd, C'T claims.

    There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service
    Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's
    probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off
    buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the
    setup files soon to prevent this hack. "

    --
    Kenfucious said:

    Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

    The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
    if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
    of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
    "tomS" <tomS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to get the windows remote desktop on xp home addition?. I
    > know you can on xp professional. I don t have a xp install disk the os was
    > preinstalled.Please respond.

    After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, Gary Tsang had this to
    say:

    > Remote Desktop is not a feature of Windows XP Home Edition. You need to
    > have Windows XP Pro Edition.

    Yes, but there are other better ways to do what he wants to do. Does it have
    to be a MickeyMouse "solution"?

    > You can connect to Windows XP Pro computers from a Windows XP Home Edition
    > computer, but you won't be able to connect to the Windows XP Home edition
    > computer.

    BS.

    The OP should look into VNC or TightVNC. Open source and works well.

    http://www.tightvnc.com/

    --
    Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
    Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP