Hi, I've gotten lots of help here before so I'll try this time too.

I need to be able to watch TV on my computer. By TV I'm talking about one of
the cable networks during the day and evening.
What can I do?
I don't have a computer with Windows media edition.
Nor do I have a video card that accepts coax cable. I know I'm going to need
a different video card, , , or most likely. But is there anything I can use
so I won't have to get a completely different OS?

Thanks all.

ATI and Hauppauge are seasoned manufacturers of TV in video cards. Look
for one that accepts coax/RG-59, most do nowadays. With this card are
provided drivers, and menu software for television tuning selection. TV out
cards simply decode the PC display for operation on a video out port for TV
display via RCA connector, avoid looking at these.

My concern, if I was in your position, is how this will affect your onboard
media center capabilities. A prior image backup is appropriate here before
implementing any changes.

"Jay Stevens" <Jay@hbo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've gotten lots of help here before so I'll try this time too.
>
> I need to be able to watch TV on my computer. By TV I'm talking about one
of
> the cable networks during the day and evening.
> What can I do?
> I don't have a computer with Windows media edition.
> Nor do I have a video card that accepts coax cable. I know I'm going to
need
> a different video card, , , or most likely. But is there anything I can
use
> so I won't have to get a completely different OS?
>
> Thanks all.

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

No need to change your OS, all you have to do is get a TV card!
This is a separate card from your video card and you just install it connect
the cables
and it works....

I would suggest a brand since I have used it and I am very pleased...

take a look here: http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia.html

I have this one, that has a remote control and radio too, you can also use
these to
record your shows and then burn them on to cds or dvds

http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia/winfast_tv2000xp_deluxe_1.html

Kenny
www.computerboom.net

--
Kenfucious said:

Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
of view, is just a point a view and not something real.

Jay Stevens wrote:
> Hi, I've gotten lots of help here before so I'll try this time too.
>
> I need to be able to watch TV on my computer. By TV I'm talking about
> one of the cable networks during the day and evening.
> What can I do?
> I don't have a computer with Windows media edition.
> Nor do I have a video card that accepts coax cable. I know I'm going
> to need a different video card, , , or most likely. But is there
> anything I can use so I won't have to get a completely different OS?
>
> Thanks all.

I bought Adaptec's VideOh! DVD Media Center USB 2.0 Edition. It serves
several functions. Plug your TV cable into it and you can watch (and edit)
TV shows. It also has RCA audio/video input plugs so you can feed your VCR
output to it to edit video tapes on your computer and be able to burn them
on CD/DVDs.

For the reverse I got TView Micro which converts the computer's video output
to NTSC/PAL for regular TV viewing through either RCA (composite) or
S-Video. For example I made a PowerPoint presentation with audio dubs.
Using the TView Micro system I fed the video to my VCR and monitored the
result on the TV the VCR was hooked to. The system plugs into the
computer's monitor output and has a splitter connector so you can still
watch your computer monitor and/or the remote TV.
I have an audio splitter that sends one audio signal to my computer speakers
and the other I plugged into the VCR's audio input. It did a real nice job.
The advantage over CD/DVD's is that the next user can simply put the tape
into his VCR and play it on a regular TV. Burning the show to a CD or DVD
has the problem that it requires a computer with at least the PowerPoint
Viewer installed.

For more information, Google "VideOh! DVD Media Center" and "TView Micro".
Or just click on these links.
http://www.shopping.com/xPC-~PD-20938182~NS-1 for the Media Center or:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50186965&pfp=BROWSE
for the TView Micro system.

These systems may cost more than you're willing to pay. Ask for them for
Christmas. I did! Two separate Xmas' from my grown children.

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

Jay Stevens wrote:
> Hi, I've gotten lots of help here before so I'll try this time too.
>
> I need to be able to watch TV on my computer. By TV I'm talking about
> one of the cable networks during the day and evening.
> What can I do?
> I don't have a computer with Windows media edition.
> Nor do I have a video card that accepts coax cable. I know I'm going
> to need a different video card, , , or most likely. But is there
> anything I can use so I won't have to get a completely different OS?

Buy TV card.
Install card.
Install software.
Hook up cabling.
Watch TV.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:15:07 GMT, "Jay Stevens" <Jay@hbo.com> wrote:

>Hi, I've gotten lots of help here before so I'll try this time too.
>
>I need to be able to watch TV on my computer. By TV I'm talking about one of
>the cable networks during the day and evening.
>What can I do?
>I don't have a computer with Windows media edition.
>Nor do I have a video card that accepts coax cable. I know I'm going to need
>a different video card, , , or most likely. But is there anything I can use
>so I won't have to get a completely different OS?
>
>Thanks all.

Don't get me wrong, but...why do you "need to be able to watch TV on
your computer"? I go into the computer room and get away from the TV.
I concentrate on the computer while I'm in here, and on the TV while
I'm in the living room.

Why not just put a small TV into your computer room? Then your
computer resources won't get bogged down displaying TV in a tiny
little box on your computer screen.