Moving page file?

My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That is now
getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows !)
Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on my HD,
which has more room? Will there be any performance issues please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
10 answers Last reply

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That is now
    > getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows !)
    > Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on my HD,

    "How To Move the Paging File in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307886

    > which has more room? Will there be any performance issues please?

    That depends. You won't "feel" any difference, most likely.

    --
    d-d

    Unlikely you will notice any substandard performance. Imaging and
    filesystem backup software don't copy it. Do it.

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That is now
    > getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows !)
    > Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on my HD,
    > which has more room? Will there be any performance issues please?
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    I felt taller and slimmer afterwards...

    steve

    "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote in message
    > Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
    >
    >> My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That is now
    >> getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows !)
    >> Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on my HD,
    >
    > "How To Move the Paging File in Windows XP"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307886
    >
    >> which has more room? Will there be any performance issues please?
    >
    > That depends. You won't "feel" any difference, most likely.
    >
    > --
    > d-d

    Hi

    Please have a look at the following article by the late Alex Nichol:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Og" <Og@msn.com> wrote:

    > I felt taller and slimmer afterwards...

    Too many 'magic mushrooms', I guess.

    --
    d-d

    In news:ddchd1le4sielq2jo9gdspivjn691vhs47@4ax.com,
    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:

    > My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That
    > is now
    > getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows
    > !)
    > Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on
    > my HD,
    > which has more room?

    Yes.

    > Will there be any performance issues please?

    Maybe. In general, this puts the page file on a location on the
    hard drive distant from the other frequently-used data on the
    drive. The result is that every time Windows needs to use the
    page file, the time to get to it and back from it is increased.

    Putting the swap file on a second *physical* drive is a good
    idea, since it decreases head movement, but not to a second
    partition on a single drive. A good rule of thumb is that the
    page file should be on the most-used partition of the least-used
    physical drive. For almost everyone with a single drive, that's
    C:.
    How much of a performance issue that will be depends on how much
    you use the page file and how much RAM you have. If you have
    enough RAM, the penalty for doing what you've done may be slight,
    since you won't use the page file much.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:OIfKpXjiFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:

    > In news:ddchd1le4sielq2jo9gdspivjn691vhs47@4ax.com,
    > Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
    >
    >> My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C.
    >> That
    >> is now
    >> getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows
    >> !)
    >> Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on
    >> my HD,
    >> which has more room?
    >

    > Yes.
    >

    >> Will there be any performance issues please?
    >

    > Maybe. In general, this puts the page file on a location on the
    > hard drive distant from the other frequently-used data on the
    > drive. The result is that every time Windows needs to use the
    > page file, the time to get to it and back from it is increased.
    >
    > Putting the swap file on a second *physical* drive is a good
    > idea, since it decreases head movement, but not to a second
    > partition on a single drive. A good rule of thumb is that the
    > page file should be on the most-used partition of the
    > least-used
    > physical drive. For almost everyone with a single drive, that's
    > C:.
    > How much of a performance issue that will be depends on how
    > much
    > you use the page file

    Sorry. I meant to write "...how you use the *computer*..."

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > and how much RAM you have. If you have
    > enough RAM, the penalty for doing what you've done may be
    > slight,
    > since you won't use the page file much.

    Since D: partition is on the same disk as C: then leave it where it is, as
    there will be a performance issue. You may want to move stuff over to D:
    other than the pagefile and system stuff, if space is becoming an issue. In
    general you do get a performance hit when partitioning the drives, and
    putting stuff on both partitions for one system.

    If you decide to put another disk in to resolve your space issue, and you
    want to place [a\the] pagefile on the other disk, you'll get a better
    performance if the other disk is not a slave disk.

    To answer your question though, yes you can, and there will be performance
    costs.

    HTH

    - Winux P

    "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:ddchd1le4sielq2jo9gdspivjn691vhs47@4ax.com,
    >Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
    >
    >> My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C. That
    >> is now
    >> getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in \Windows
    >> !)
    >> Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition on
    >> my HD,
    >> which has more room?
    >

    >Yes.
    >

    >> Will there be any performance issues please?
    >

    >Maybe. In general, this puts the page file on a location on the
    >hard drive distant from the other frequently-used data on the
    >drive. The result is that every time Windows needs to use the
    >page file, the time to get to it and back from it is increased.
    >
    >Putting the swap file on a second *physical* drive is a good
    >idea, since it decreases head movement, but not to a second
    >partition on a single drive. A good rule of thumb is that the
    >page file should be on the most-used partition of the least-used
    >physical drive. For almost everyone with a single drive, that's
    >C:.
    >How much of a performance issue that will be depends on how much
    >you use the page file and how much RAM you have. If you have
    >enough RAM, the penalty for doing what you've done may be slight,
    >since you won't use the page file much.

    Thanks for those helpful replies. I do in fact have an identical
    second physical HD, partitioned like the first into E (15 GB) and F
    (45 GB). I didn't mention it mainly in case it muddied the water, but
    also because I'd assumed the swap file should be 'where the action
    is', which is certainly C and D.

    But from your reply, Ken, E looks a good candidate, as it's almost
    never used. (It's currently a 'copy' of an old version of C, to serve
    as an emergency OS environment.)

    I've just made these changes:
    - For C, checked No page file
    - For E, checked System managed
    and left D and F as No page file.

    I will reboot in a minute, so I'll soon know, but does that sound OK
    please? The aspect I'm still a little unsure of (after reading those
    articles) is whether I still need some *minimum* on C as well?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    In news:1brjd1p9f3v08ph8cge70l9k7c7pkde4kh@4ax.com,
    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:

    > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:ddchd1le4sielq2jo9gdspivjn691vhs47@4ax.com,
    >> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> My pagefile.sys is 767MB and is on my main system drive C.
    >>> That
    >>> is now
    >>> getting a bit tight on space (due to so much stuff in
    >>> \Windows
    >>> !)
    >>> Can I just move pagefile.sys to say D, the second partition
    >>> on
    >>> my HD,
    >>> which has more room?
    >>

    >> Yes.
    >>

    >>> Will there be any performance issues please?
    >>

    >> Maybe. In general, this puts the page file on a location on
    >> the
    >> hard drive distant from the other frequently-used data on the
    >> drive. The result is that every time Windows needs to use the
    >> page file, the time to get to it and back from it is
    >> increased.
    >>
    >> Putting the swap file on a second *physical* drive is a good
    >> idea, since it decreases head movement, but not to a second
    >> partition on a single drive. A good rule of thumb is that the
    >> page file should be on the most-used partition of the
    >> least-used
    >> physical drive. For almost everyone with a single drive,
    >> that's
    >> C:.
    >> How much of a performance issue that will be depends on how
    >> much
    >> you use the page file and how much RAM you have. If you have
    >> enough RAM, the penalty for doing what you've done may be
    >> slight,
    >> since you won't use the page file much.
    >
    > Thanks for those helpful replies. I do in fact have an
    > identical
    > second physical HD, partitioned like the first into E (15 GB)
    > and F
    > (45 GB). I didn't mention it mainly in case it muddied the
    > water, but
    > also because I'd assumed the swap file should be 'where the
    > action
    > is', which is certainly C and D.
    >
    > But from your reply, Ken, E looks a good candidate, as it's
    > almost
    > never used. (It's currently a 'copy' of an old version of C, to
    > serve
    > as an emergency OS environment.)

    You're welcome, Terry. Again, though, depending on how much use
    the page file gets, you may or may not see a measurable
    performance improvement.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > I've just made these changes:
    > - For C, checked No page file
    > - For E, checked System managed
    > and left D and F as No page file.
    >
    > I will reboot in a minute, so I'll soon know, but does that
    > sound OK
    > please? The aspect I'm still a little unsure of (after reading
    > those
    > articles) is whether I still need some *minimum* on C as well?

Microsoft Pagefile Windows XP