Can a lamp bought in the states (110V) be used in China (220V)?

divadhslee

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Today, a newly installed lamp fixture started fuming and before a fire started I quickly switched it off and had an electrician check that out. He found that the 160W lamp had melted the "heatproof" plastic material which was inches away. I was then told that the 160W lamp was 110V and not appropriate to be used here in China. Yes, I ordered these lamps from US and have been using them in Beijing China where I reside. The electrician said that used here in China (220V), that lamp would be twice as bright (producing twice as much heat I suppose then) and that that would also cause the lamp to have a shorter life. Is it true? The said 160W (110V) lamp is Zoo Med PowerSun UV self-ballasted mercury vapor lamp. One which I could not get an equivalent of here in China. Can someone tell me how I could use this lamp safely here in China? I really love this lamp for what it could do.

Expensive Brick

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Yes this is true. The US, is one of the only countries (if not the only) that uses 110v standard for everyday use. You can shop around online for a 220v to 110v converter. This is a bit of a generalization I'm making, but without getting into the meat of Tesla v. Edison I'll leave it at that.

tutubi

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
there are lots of portable converters out there now. you shouldnt have a problem especially in china where all things are made :D

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
all you need to plug a 110 lamp into 220 is a 220w bulb and a plug adaptor. without which yest your lamp will be brighter if it lasts more than a couple of seconds... if they dont make a bulb for it you will need to use a converter.