Sign in with
Your question

Dwm's svchost using masses of RAM

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 18, 2012 6:57:22 PM

And masses really means masses:

Its clearly not meant to be this way, because its just a host for little ol' dwm - making things look pretty. Not sure what to do, even after Googling the problem a fair few times

Help is obviously appreciated :) 

- Jaffa

PS - Sorry if this isnt the wrong sub-category but this seemed the most-fitting

EDIT -
Spoiler
After this post:

Quote:
*massive sigh* this is nothing about Google chrome. High usage on chrome is perfectly normal on my system and I have no problems with it.

DWM's scvhost normally runs at about an eighth of that, and my system is very unresponsive. It just has no need to be so large

EDIT - Wow. I haven't even said that it is svchost and not dwm.exe in the OP -_- Sorry everyone - Post edited accordingly

I have edited the OP (this) to make a bit more sense. Sorry e'ryone :s

More about : dwm svchost masses ram

September 18, 2012 8:37:06 PM

try disabling 3rd party addons/gadgets and see if you notice a difference.(IF YOU HAVE ANY)

Otherwise do a malware scan...
September 18, 2012 8:43:57 PM

It looks like it's using less than Chrome.
Related resources
September 18, 2012 8:47:25 PM

Yeah, 30MB isn't anything to worry about.
September 18, 2012 8:48:57 PM

Pretty sure that's normal, actually.
September 18, 2012 9:42:38 PM

+1

From *google*ing around, it's normal for dwm.exe to use up between 20 to 50MB. If you are really concerned about it you can disable the service but I would not recommend it as it may render the system unstable but that's MHO.

I had a quick look at my system and it's currently at 27MB.
September 19, 2012 5:52:16 AM

*massive sigh* this is nothing about Google chrome. High usage on chrome is perfectly normal on my system and I have no problems with it.

DWM's scvhost normally runs at about an eighth of that, and my system is very unresponsive. It just has no need to be so large

EDIT - Wow. I haven't even said that it is svchost and not dwm.exe in the OP -_- Sorry everyone - Post edited accordingly
September 19, 2012 10:53:23 AM

svchost is normally quite large. That's nothing out of the ordinary. I was using Chrome as a comparison.

What you can do is right click on each instance of svchost and click properties and make sure they are in C:\Windows\System32. If they are not runnning from that folder, you have some type of malware. Otherwise, it's a normal windows process
September 19, 2012 2:29:40 PM

Herr_Koos said:
svchost can be one of any number of Windows services. It can grow especially large when some kind of update is running.

If you need more detail on the specific process, install Process Explorer:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb89665...

If you're going to reply, please at least read the OP. :heink: 

egilbe said:
svchost is normally quite large. That's nothing out of the ordinary. I was using Chrome as a comparison.

What you can do is right click on each instance of svchost and click properties and make sure they are in C:\Windows\System32. If they are not runnning from that folder, you have some type of malware. Otherwise, it's a normal windows process

Thanks. A spike so massive made me fairly suspicious. Maybe my computer just needs a clean and slow svchost isn't making it slow.
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 4:01:05 PM

I was replying from work and the proxy server blocks embedded images. I was honestly trying to help, but there you go...
!