S-ata , shall I or not ?

honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Hi guys,

I've read before in the forum something like this
Currently (performance) ATA100 = ATA133 = SATA 150

So they mean to say that no matter If I choose S-ata over IDE , there will be no speed difference yet?
But later if speedier drive will come out, they will definatly come with S-ATA and no more IDE ??? Am I correct in assuming that??

I currently have 2 Seagates (2MB buffer, 7200 RPM) and they work fine, I had someone tell me that the newer seagate S_ATA (8mb buffer, 7200rpm)are a lot noisier, can you confirm that?

Thank God for this forum ... ^^ ^^

Cheers.
Ralph

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Eventually drives will be faster, but you have to remember they only double in transfer rate roughly every 5 years!

Newer SATA drives and controllers support NCQ which can reduce seek times.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
SATA has other advantages such as better cabling, hotswapable, no-master/slave, NCQ.

And there are already hard drives which are only released in SATA version (WD Raptor).

However both version are going to be arround for awhile.

I definately would not buy a motherboard without SATA support and I would think hard before getting an expensive IDE hard drive.