hard drive upgrade

hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup inside
my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick to
get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
hard drive!?
ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,

tips n tricks would be good :)
6 answers Last reply
More about hard drive upgrade

    The so-called "trick" is to remove the source hard drive immediately after
    the copy. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Doing otherwise usually
    botches the bootability of the cloned (target for the copy) hard drive.

    Its stated in no uncertain terms concerning free cloning software by the
    hard drive manufacturers. Yet, many people in their excitement, fail to do
    this.

    A clone cannot be performed while the PC is booted from the onboard XP
    environment.

    "Browny" <Browny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup
    inside
    > my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick
    > get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
    > hard drive!?
    > ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,
    >
    > tips n tricks would be good :)

    Hi,

    "What are you planning to use it for?" is the big question. Do you want to
    use it for additional storage or do you want to migrate your existing system
    onto it? The answer to this question will help define how you set it up.

    Basically, for additional storage, you power off, connect the drive to a
    free EIDE connector and power connector, and make sure the jumper on the
    drive is set correctly (master/slave/cable-select). Then simply power up and
    logon, run diskmgmt.msc and use this tool to partition and format the drive.

    If you are migrating the system over to it, most drive manufacturers provide
    a copy tool (either included on disk or downloadable from their web site)
    and instructions, and this is the best way to do it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Browny" <Browny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup
    > inside
    > my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick
    > get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
    > hard drive!?
    > ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,
    >
    > tips n tricks would be good :)

    good stuff!

    Lil' Dave wrote:

    > A clone cannot be performed while the PC is booted from
    > the onboard XP environment.

    HUH?????

    WTF are you talking about?

    I regularly clone my "C" drive to another internal EIDE drive without
    problem. And I have my BIOS set so that if my "C" drive fails, the
    cloned drive will be the boot drive.

    Again, a clone cannot occur within the XP environment, IF the hard drive
    contains the XP boot partition and subsequent files.

    Here's a support help page from WD on that, and relates to remove the copied
    hard drive before utilizing the cloned hard drive for booting.
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1095&p_sid=8k5IcGKh&p_lva=1189&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYmcF9wcm9kcz04NSwxMCZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTIuMTAmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wYWdlPTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jb3B5IGhhcmQgZHJpdmU%2A&p_li=#

    Note that the Windows version of this copying program is not utilized here.
    This is typical.

    It does not suggest using bios deprivation of anything connected to the
    onboard ide to confuse the user.

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    > Again, a clone cannot occur within the XP environment, IF the hard drive
    > contains the XP boot partition and subsequent files.

    As long as the clone cannot see its "parent" partition when it is
    booted up for the 1st time, it can be booted up in subsequent times
    with the "parent" partition visible to it, and the clone will view the
    "parent" as just another Local Disk (Disk Management's term for
    "partition"), that is, as just another file structure, and files can be
    dragged 'n dropped between the two partitions as if they were on
    the same hard drive. The requirement that the clone be booted up
    *for the 1st time* without its "parent" visible to it, though, is critical.

    *TimDaniels*

Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP