hard drive upgrade

July 16, 2005 6:57:01 AM

hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup inside
my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick to
get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
hard drive!?
ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,

tips n tricks would be good :)

More about : hard drive upgrade

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:20:06 AM

The so-called "trick" is to remove the source hard drive immediately after
the copy. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Doing otherwise usually
botches the bootability of the cloned (target for the copy) hard drive.

Its stated in no uncertain terms concerning free cloning software by the
hard drive manufacturers. Yet, many people in their excitement, fail to do
this.

A clone cannot be performed while the PC is booted from the onboard XP
environment.

"Browny" <Browny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup
inside
> my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick
> get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
> hard drive!?
> ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,
>
> tips n tricks would be good :)
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:52:14 AM

Hi,

"What are you planning to use it for?" is the big question. Do you want to
use it for additional storage or do you want to migrate your existing system
onto it? The answer to this question will help define how you set it up.

Basically, for additional storage, you power off, connect the drive to a
free EIDE connector and power connector, and make sure the jumper on the
drive is set correctly (master/slave/cable-select). Then simply power up and
logon, run diskmgmt.msc and use this tool to partition and format the drive.

If you are migrating the system over to it, most drive manufacturers provide
a copy tool (either included on disk or downloadable from their web site)
and instructions, and this is the best way to do it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Browny" <Browny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup
> inside
> my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some trick
> get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a second
> hard drive!?
> ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,
>
> tips n tricks would be good :)
Related resources
July 16, 2005 11:52:15 AM

good stuff!
July 16, 2005 6:14:40 PM

Lil' Dave wrote:

> A clone cannot be performed while the PC is booted from
> the onboard XP environment.

HUH?????

WTF are you talking about?

I regularly clone my "C" drive to another internal EIDE drive without
problem. And I have my BIOS set so that if my "C" drive fails, the
cloned drive will be the boot drive.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 11:35:16 AM

Again, a clone cannot occur within the XP environment, IF the hard drive
contains the XP boot partition and subsequent files.

Here's a support help page from WD on that, and relates to remove the copied
hard drive before utilizing the cloned hard drive for booting.
http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std...

Note that the Windows version of this copying program is not utilized here.
This is typical.

It does not suggest using bios deprivation of anything connected to the
onboard ide to confuse the user.

> The so-called "trick" is to remove the source hard drive immediately after
> the copy. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. Doing otherwise usually
> botches the bootability of the cloned (target for the copy) hard drive.
>
> Its stated in no uncertain terms concerning free cloning software by the
> hard drive manufacturers. Yet, many people in their excitement, fail to
do
> this.
>
> A clone cannot be performed while the PC is booted from the onboard XP
> environment.
>
> "Browny" <Browny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey all, im thinking of buying a 120gb hard drive, i know how to setup
> inside
> > my comp but i know for sure that it cant be that easy, is there some
trick
> > get the files off the old drive to put into new, or cant there be a
second
> > hard drive!?
> > ive heard stories about that but i dont know how to do,
> >
> > tips n tricks would be good :)

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:08:50 PM

"Lil' Dave" wrote:
> Again, a clone cannot occur within the XP environment, IF the hard drive
> contains the XP boot partition and subsequent files.

As long as the clone cannot see its "parent" partition when it is
booted up for the 1st time, it can be booted up in subsequent times
with the "parent" partition visible to it, and the clone will view the
"parent" as just another Local Disk (Disk Management's term for
"partition"), that is, as just another file structure, and files can be
dragged 'n dropped between the two partitions as if they were on
the same hard drive. The requirement that the clone be booted up
*for the 1st time* without its "parent" visible to it, though, is critical.

*TimDaniels*
!