Is Getting An HP Pavillion Notebook Worth It?

MysterB

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Hi, looks like this whole forum thingy is cool and all....

Anyways, the question(s) I have:

I was looking at getting an HP Pavillion Notebook, like the dv9000t series, and I would have it customized on HP's ordering website. Looking at it and testing it in stores, it is visually nice and seems to run okay. I'm not sure which company among the top ones like Gateway, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, Fujitsu have the best durability and lasts the longest. I like the dv9000t from HP because it would be a step-up from my current Gateway MX 6421 Notebook at 15.4" screen to a 17" screen. I like HP because they have exclusive features like the exclusive rights to LightScribe built in and Quickplay touch buttons. However, the glossy finish is crappy because other than it *looking* good, if you touch it, your fingerprints stick out like a turned on lightbulb. Plus, the viewing angle when you tilt the screen towards you, the screen starts to "wash" out. The display housing is assembled with 2 covers, one on front and the back cover and they come together, but loose, you can easily make the plastic seperate a bit by pressing the frame with your finger, but it wont come apart unless forced. I don't like the layout of the USB 2.0 ports and a slot should have been left WITH the Express Card Slot.

I have contacted HP about these issues via e-mail SEVERAL times and called once. I don't think my complaints will have any affect on their discission for future notebooks, but who knows, right? Anyways, their dv6000t series model can come with the glossy finish (blah!) or the standard finish. The tradeoff? Glossy gets you the mic and/or webcam, the standard finish gets you no mic and/or webcam.

Now that HP has aqquired VOODOO, apparently a huge computer manufactuer for specifically games?, does ANYONE with legit sources know if HP will make their notebooks better, even though I am not much of a gamer? I like speed in a machine like the new Intel Core 2 Duo's unlike my current Gateway notebook with only 512MB DDR RAM, a 4,200 RPM HDD, 15.4" screen, DL DVD/CD Disc Drive Burner. Viewing angle is not that much of a problem on Gateway as it is on an HP notebook. Gateway has HORRIBLE Customer Service. I had to send this Gateway I am using now in for repair almost 3 times, and they WOULD NOT fix it even though my warranty and all was fine and not expired. Display backlight issue, HDD odd sounding issue, DL DVD/CD Disc Drive issue like it pops out for no reason, even when I lay my hand gently on the surface of the notebook for typing or have it in my lap.

What would you guys/gals recommend? I like HP with their fancy bells and whistles, but there are existing hardware issues.

I am looking for durability, features, integrated mic and webcam, and long lasting hardware. I know Acer has Logitech webcam technology in their notebook's display panel for the integrated webcam, but Acer apparently has been getting low marks, plus customization is out of the picture with them except RAM and HDD. I am not interested in Blu-Ray or the HDD disc format drives.

Any thoughts? My budget is about up to $2,500. This isn't going to be specifically for games, but I would like speed and all that great stuff if in the future I get back into games.

One last thing, my Gateway notebook I am using still has untill Oct. 2008 before the Best Buy warranty expires, should I just keep this notebook until then until Windows Vista gets better with the hardware (because you KNOW there will be a Service Pack like previous Window's OS's and new hardware gets better), or get a new notebook with Vista and new hardware right off the bat?

hexacet

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
personally i would say no

i am the unfortunate owner of the dv9702, i have already had to pull it apart and reasssemble the cpu heasink as the cpu was idling at nearly 75C thanks to the large air bubble where the thermal comound was meant to be - its now a more plesant 45C

the preinstaled vista is unbelivebly slow - it gets MUCH quicker after a full format and retinstall with the retail version

the "glossy" screen has more in common with a household mirror than a lcd screen - its easy to see whats going on behind you but not a lot of whats happening in front of you...

finally HP do NOT support XP on any 9000 series pavillion laptop that was preinstalled with vista - i have had this confirmed by their own tech suport team, according to HP the amd turion x2 / nvidia mcp65 / 8400GS / atheros wifi / connexant audio are not capable of running XP - they of course are and with a bit of tweaking as im now using the hp oem xp home on the dv9702 as i type this

i am going to post the dv9702 vista to xp guide on my site alon with the relevant modified drivers when i get a chance

basicallly this is the first and last hp i am planning on buying - for all hp are quick to reply to tech support emails their replies are about as helpful as emails from ebay customer services...

im just glad i bought this HeaP from the reconditioned section of pc world for £349 as opposed to the £649 it was originally retailing for...

maxentziu

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
About HP you ar right, sorry my engl. but i have the same hp pavilion dv9702 for 1 month and i put the xp , but i cant find the sound drivers and the ethernet controler.
PLEASE tell me were can i find these drivers, help me because i cant stand it anymore, i think im going to breackit.
CALIN.
p.s. if you want i can call you , im in ireland at the moment and will be hire four another 4 monts.
TNX

davesintexas

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I own a 9600 Pavillion and for the last 4 years its been great. I use it for work, for entertainment etc. The only problem Ive had with this computer in 4 years is that just today it decided not to boot up at all and is just sitting there.

I also have owned most other brands and since I think Compaq is owned now by HP they are about the same? Been a while since Ive looked a new computers. I also currently own a Lenovo and for the last three years its been great.

TRENDING THREADS