Removing Symantec/Norton Software

Just an FYI for users who need the ability to remove Symantec/Norton
products from their PC. Symantec formerly had a whole list of tools,
such as RNav, RNis, SymCln & others.

I had a customer whose subscription(s) will expire soon. She will be
going to eTrust/ZA-Free and needed to remove NIS-2005, AntiSpam
and AV. Over time, I've developed my own process to get Symantec
and Norton software off PCs, as best as can be done.

I went back to Symantec's website to check for any new updates on
those "Cleanup Tools". Noticed they now have a new tool, SymNRT
that seems to work for a whole group of their products.

The Knowledge Base article and link to the download is below:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2004020314035036&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Even with this, I would still strongly urge anyone with Symantec/Norton
products who are removing them to image their PC before the removal
process is started. Also, note this tool is designed to work only if the
normal Add/Remove does not complete successfully.

Once I've had a chance to actually test this, I'll report back on it's
effectiveness.

After sticking his head out from his XP firewall, R. McCarty had this to
say:

> Just an FYI for users who need the ability to remove Symantec/Norton
> products from their PC. Symantec formerly had a whole list of tools,
> such as RNav, RNis, SymCln & others.
>
> I had a customer whose subscription(s) will expire soon. She will be
> going to eTrust/ZA-Free and needed to remove NIS-2005, AntiSpam
> and AV. Over time, I've developed my own process to get Symantec
> and Norton software off PCs, as best as can be done.
>
> I went back to Symantec's website to check for any new updates on
> those "Cleanup Tools". Noticed they now have a new tool, SymNRT
> that seems to work for a whole group of their products.
>
> The Knowledge Base article and link to the download is below:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2004020314035036&nsf=tsgeninfo.nsf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

> Even with this, I would still strongly urge anyone with Symantec/Norton
> products who are removing them to image their PC before the removal
> process is started. Also, note this tool is designed to work only if the
> normal Add/Remove does not complete successfully.
>
> Once I've had a chance to actually test this, I'll report back on it's
> effectiveness.

Yeh, go and do that. We're all waiting with baited breathe to find out how
you make out.

--
Still running XP (The Toy Operating System eXPerience)?
Kiddies, don't forget to defrag your hard drive & update your virus