Sign in with
Your question

Need 24" Monitor Advice please

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 13, 2007 10:35:43 PM

Hey guys, I've just built a new computer powered by an EVGA e-Geforce 8800GTS 512 (which I will hopefully stepup to the new series cards) and I am looking to buy a new 24" monitor. Since the monitor is something that you can easily carry over to your next build, I would like to spend a bit of money on it now (However, not more than $700).

I will use the monitor for:
1) Computer Gaming
2) Watching movies
3) CAD design
4) Possible console gaming (Primarily PS3, so HDMI is a plus, but not a requirement)

I would like to avoid TN panels since I've read they skimp on quality. Can anyone make any suggestions? Any help is appreciated :) 

EDIT: I'm sorry, I found the monitor I will be buying. For those of you in the same dilemma, I've read from various reviews that the BenQ FP241W is an excellent monitor.

More about : monitor advice

December 19, 2007 7:50:16 AM

I am in the EXACT same position (Will-be PS3 owner, need something good for similar reasons)

I'm from Canada, and because of possible dead pixels, I'm avoiding looking at purchasing a monitor not in person and at a reliable store.

The BenQ you mention is at Costco, and is also one of the monitors I'm looking at.
The 24" Acer at Futureshop is the other.

The 24" LG Monitor (which the American best buy carries, no the CAN) seems to be the ideal fit (HDMI/DVI/..etc WITH PC sound-output to plugin my speakers without converting cables)

Unfortunately, that's all I can add to the convo,
Would be interesting to hear some advice from others.
December 19, 2007 4:42:34 PM

jr88 said:
I would like to avoid TN panels since I've read they skimp on quality. Can anyone make any suggestions? Any help is appreciated :) 

I've spent around a month now reading everything possible concerning LCD monitors. I also had this question concerning TN panel quality not being worth the money. Unfortunately I've been to approx 30 stores and haven't been able to find a VA or IPS panel to look at despite living in a large city.

Check out the view angles at this review:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/680-5/lcd-24-iiyama-...

While these angles concern me as well as TN panels being a lower bit color quality, I think I can settle for certain TN panels based at looking at so many of them. I'm just waiting on a good deal on the samsung 245BW or Gateway FHD2400. The gateway has a glossy panel which I'm not sure how much I like. Though it has great reviews due to its great video processor and dvi and hdmi inputs.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2213613,00.a...

I hope this helps.

a c 195 C Monitor
December 21, 2007 2:32:09 AM

Trying to find a VA or IPS monitor in a brick & mortor store will be very difficult 'cause most customers are interested in spending the least amount of money for something that will look decent.

BestBuy carries the LG L246WP-BN 24" LCD monitor, but I'm not sure if it supports 1:1 pixel mapping.
!