Outlook and attachments, not OE

Hi

I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook

I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
decided to send anyway...

Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about outlook attachments

    Hi,

    As I am a systems developer using MS Access I run into this problem at work
    all the time using Outlook 2002. There used to be a registry "fix" published
    in the MS knowledge base -- at least in Outlook 2000 -- that allowed Outlook
    to accept an MDB file. However, that would mean that all possible recipients
    of MS Access files would need to tweak their registries, not the best of all
    possible worlds.

    What I now do is to rename the MDB file to have a "txt" extension and
    instruct the recipient to rename it back to have an MDB extension after
    he/she receives it. This method works well for me.

    Alan

    "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    > Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    >
    > I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
    > about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
    > decided to send anyway...
    >
    > Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    > access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi, Alan. I will consider doing this. Bit of a pain when I receive similar
    files from others that don't know about this work around...thats why I
    started using OE again as I was having to ask the senders to re send and open
    in OE to get at file

    Cheers

    "Alan" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > As I am a systems developer using MS Access I run into this problem at work
    > all the time using Outlook 2002. There used to be a registry "fix" published
    > in the MS knowledge base -- at least in Outlook 2000 -- that allowed Outlook
    > to accept an MDB file. However, that would mean that all possible recipients
    > of MS Access files would need to tweak their registries, not the best of all
    > possible worlds.
    >
    > What I now do is to rename the MDB file to have a "txt" extension and
    > instruct the recipient to rename it back to have an MDB extension after
    > he/she receives it. This method works well for me.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    > > Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    > >
    > > I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
    > > about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
    > > decided to send anyway...
    > >
    > > Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    > > access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi,

    Blocked file types in Outlook:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030850041033.aspx

    This is not something that can be overridden. You should check with an
    Outlook group for further assistance.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    > Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    >
    > I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
    > about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
    > decided to send anyway...
    >
    > Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    > access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks for the link

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Blocked file types in Outlook:
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030850041033.aspx
    >
    > This is not something that can be overridden. You should check with an
    > Outlook group for further assistance.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    > > Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    > >
    > > I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
    > > about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
    > > decided to send anyway...
    > >
    > > Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    > > access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Hi again,

    I found the KB article that explains the registry tweak. It's at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829982

    Another suggestion that the article gives is to use a compression utility
    (such as WinZip) and have the recipient unzip it after they receive the
    email. Zip files go through fine in Outlook.

    > Hi, Alan. I will consider doing this. Bit of a pain when I receive
    > similar
    > files from others that don't know about this work around...thats why I
    > started using OE again as I was having to ask the senders to re send and
    > open
    > in OE to get at file
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > "Alan" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> As I am a systems developer using MS Access I run into this problem at
    >> work
    >> all the time using Outlook 2002. There used to be a registry "fix"
    >> published
    >> in the MS knowledge base -- at least in Outlook 2000 -- that allowed
    >> Outlook
    >> to accept an MDB file. However, that would mean that all possible
    >> recipients
    >> of MS Access files would need to tweak their registries, not the best of
    >> all
    >> possible worlds.
    >>
    >> What I now do is to rename the MDB file to have a "txt" extension and
    >> instruct the recipient to rename it back to have an MDB extension after
    >> he/she receives it. This method works well for me.
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>
    >> "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    >> > Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    >> >
    >> > I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the
    >> > warning
    >> > about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file.
    >> > decided to send anyway...
    >> >
    >> > Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    >> > access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Thanks for the link...and yes zipping the file! Thanks for that... :)

    "Alan" wrote:

    > Hi again,
    >
    > I found the KB article that explains the registry tweak. It's at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829982
    >
    > Another suggestion that the article gives is to use a compression utility
    > (such as WinZip) and have the recipient unzip it after they receive the
    > email. Zip files go through fine in Outlook.
    >
    > Alan
    >
    > "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, Alan. I will consider doing this. Bit of a pain when I receive
    > > similar
    > > files from others that don't know about this work around...thats why I
    > > started using OE again as I was having to ask the senders to re send and
    > > open
    > > in OE to get at file
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > >
    > > "Alan" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> As I am a systems developer using MS Access I run into this problem at
    > >> work
    > >> all the time using Outlook 2002. There used to be a registry "fix"
    > >> published
    > >> in the MS knowledge base -- at least in Outlook 2000 -- that allowed
    > >> Outlook
    > >> to accept an MDB file. However, that would mean that all possible
    > >> recipients
    > >> of MS Access files would need to tweak their registries, not the best of
    > >> all
    > >> possible worlds.
    > >>
    > >> What I now do is to rename the MDB file to have a "txt" extension and
    > >> instruct the recipient to rename it back to have an MDB extension after
    > >> he/she receives it. This method works well for me.
    > >>
    > >> Alan
    > >>
    > >> "scarabrae" <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:55:03 -0700, scarabrae
    <scarabrae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I did a search before posting and found the answer to my question for
    >Outlook Express, however this question is for Outlook
    >
    >I attached a MS Access file to my outgoing email. I received the warning
    >about others using Outlook may not be able to access the attached file. I
    >decided to send anyway...
    >
    >Now Outlook is unwilling to send the email and I cant get access to my
    >access file...surely I can choose to send and receive attachments?
    >
    >Thanks

    Ask in a group with OUTLOOK in the title. Notice this group lacks
    that word.

Outlook Email Outlook Express Windows XP