Sign in with
Your question

WinRar Question

Last response: in Windows 7
September 18, 2012 10:05:38 PM

I want to password-protect a notepad file with winrar (found out you can).

I right clicked the file and hit add to archive, then hit set password, on the set password box that comes up, I also have an option to "encrypt file names" what does this mean and what does this do? Also, is this the safest way? I don't need the file to be safe from the FBI just need to keep it away from viruses (if that's even possible). Essentially I want a way to put a password on a file but without a complicated procedure added to it when setting the password or opening the text file.

More about : winrar question

September 18, 2012 10:11:18 PM

Iceycold said:
I want to password-protect a notepad file with winrar (found out you can).

I right clicked the file and hit add to archive, then hit set password, on the set password box that comes up, I also have an option to "encrypt file names" what does this mean and what does this do? Also, is this the safest way? I don't need the file to be safe from the FBI just need to keep it away from viruses (if that's even possible). Essentially I want a way to put a password on a file but without a complicated procedure added to it when setting the password or opening the text file.

Securing = password applied against the archive.
Encryption = the files within the archive are encrypted and if hacked will not display as the original files. It's akin to attempting to open an .exe file with notepad.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2012 10:16:41 PM

IIRC - Encrypt file names does exactly that -- in a normal password protected rar file you can still see the names of the files contained in the archive -- setting it to encrypt them means that anyone looking at the archive can not see what files are included in the archive since they would be encrypted until the password is used.

From E-how :

Quote:
Anyone who opens the archive will still be able to view the names of the files it contains, which can be a security risk if your file names or directory structure are sensitive information as well. Place a check mark in the "Encrypt file names" option above the "OK" button in WinRAR to prevent users from being able to view the names of files within the archive until they have authenticated with a valid password.

Read more: How to Put an Encryption on WinRAR | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8366941_put-encryption-winrar.h...
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 10:49:50 PM

The encryption won't hide the contents of the text file right? Simply want to apply a password to the text file. So I'm archiving 1 text file.
m
l
September 19, 2012 1:41:52 AM

For simplicity, just password protect the archive ensuring that you use a decent length password - 6 to 12 characters.

If the text file contains financial information for example, then encrypt and password protect it.
m
l
September 21, 2012 9:26:50 PM

Understood but still have my question: Does encryption like scramble the text inside the file if someone cracks into it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 21, 2012 9:27:50 PM

That's precisely what encryption is all about.
m
l
September 21, 2012 11:54:43 PM

Alright, thanks man.
m
l
September 22, 2012 1:31:37 AM

There I added my text file to the winrar archive, I noticed the text file is in the archive but there is still the original copy outside the archive, safe to delete?
m
l
September 22, 2012 9:46:38 PM

Always test before deleting.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 22, 2012 10:31:59 PM

And never lose the password.
m
l
September 23, 2012 12:34:23 AM