Where to see a 24" VA panel?

luckyblur

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I have been to all the stores in town and none have a VA panel for sale or on display. I live in a large city and we have multiple best buys and such. Due to online return policies, where do you go to see if a VA panel is really worth the extra cash?

Personally I have looked at several displays and I think the Samsung 245BW looks very nice even for a TN panel. Though many would say "I wouldn't pay that much for a TN panel."

Not sure what to do. I want to use this display for a DVI monitor and also watch some 1080p movies on it through my PS3. I like the DVI and HDMI inputs on the Gateway FDH2400 but not sure if I dig the glossy screen. Also it is just overpriced since it's really a Samsung TN panel.

luckyblur

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
To my understanding no 1:1 support means that it won't scale from 1920 x 1200 to 1920×1080 for 1080p correct?

If it does scale to 1080p will it stretch and be blurry? Or will it just cut out the extra resolution leaving a black box around the outside?

I went to both best buys in town and neither have this panel or any other non TN on display. Ive been to all major commercial stores as well as all the little mom and pap computer repair stores...not a single VA or IPS panel.

Any well priced non TN panels with 1:1?

Any monitor that lacks 1:1 pixel mapping will distort the image by stretching it to fit the full screen.

When you force a LCD monitor to display at non-native resolution text and images will always look a little blurry. Some monitors have a "sharpness" option in the OSD menu that could help alleviate some of the blurriness, but it will always be there.