DVD drive won't play dvds

I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:

'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is functioning
properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'

I've tried playing cds and there are no problems. This has only just started
happening. Any ideas anyone?
7 answers Last reply
More about drive play dvds

    InterActual is a program normally put on many DVD movies to allow a PC to
    play a DVD movie.

    You could try going to add/remove programs. Remove InterActual. Then, put
    in a DVD movie with that program on it, and reinstall it.

    Many people use the 3rd party pay-for PowerDVD program instead.

    An errant program, yourself, or another user could have minimized some
    display setting. Preventing the display of full color/screen DVD movies.
    Reinstalling InterActual won't fix this.

    There are three steps in playing commercial DVD movies. One is the menu
    system. Another is decoding some of the DVD files that each contain a
    certain mpeg2. Both of these are done with the DVD movie playing software.
    And, finally, these are decoded and displayed. This last step is what the
    error message is referring to.

    "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
    > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
    > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    >
    > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
    > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
    > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    functioning
    > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'
    >
    > I've tried playing cds and there are no problems. This has only just
    started
    > happening. Any ideas anyone?

    InterActual is a program normally put on many DVD movies to allow a PC to
    play a DVD movie.

    So Wrong!
    --
    Mike Pawlak

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > InterActual is a program normally put on many DVD movies to allow a PC to
    > play a DVD movie.
    >
    > You could try going to add/remove programs. Remove InterActual. Then, put
    > in a DVD movie with that program on it, and reinstall it.
    >
    > Many people use the 3rd party pay-for PowerDVD program instead.
    >
    > An errant program, yourself, or another user could have minimized some
    > display setting. Preventing the display of full color/screen DVD movies.
    > Reinstalling InterActual won't fix this.
    >
    > There are three steps in playing commercial DVD movies. One is the menu
    > system. Another is decoding some of the DVD files that each contain a
    > certain mpeg2. Both of these are done with the DVD movie playing software.
    > And, finally, these are decoded and displayed. This last step is what the
    > error message is referring to.
    >
    > "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
    > > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
    > > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    > >
    > > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
    > > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
    > > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    > functioning
    > > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'
    > >
    > > I've tried playing cds and there are no problems. This has only just
    > started
    > > happening. Any ideas anyone?

    Hi,

    Did DVD's work before? If not, or you've never tried them, the error message
    is telling you that you do not have DVD decoder software installed, and this
    is necessary for playback of DVD's. This is not something that comes with
    WinXP.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
    > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
    > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    >
    > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
    > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
    > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    > functioning
    > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'
    >
    > I've tried playing cds and there are no problems. This has only just
    > started
    > happening. Any ideas anyone?

    "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
    > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
    > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    >
    > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
    > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
    > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    functioning
    > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'

    Try this page
    http://player.interactual.com/help/support/articles/0111.asp

    thanks for all the replies guys.

    My computer's about 3 years old - I've had no problems whatsoever playing
    dvds or indeed any other discs in the dvd drive prior to the problem emerging
    this morning. I've done nothing to my computer to cause it and can't figure
    out why it's happening. Like I said before - I try playing a dvd via Real
    Player and it tells me I don't have a dvd drive installed: I try playing a
    dvd via InterActual and the 'Error PL4013' message pops up: I play cds and
    there's no problem. So how can I rectify it?

    > "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening. Real
    > > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try playing
    > > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    > >
    > > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video subsystem.
    > > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not have a
    > > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    > functioning
    > > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'

    both Real Player and InterActual are telling me they can't locate my decoders
    and recommend reinstalling the dvd software. Here's the major problem - the
    disc was never supplied with the computer and the company that built it went
    bust last year so I can't call on them for tech support. The dvd drive
    doesn't even have a manufacturers name and model on it. As my cd-rom drive
    has been playing up for a while and now this is happening to the dvd drive
    does it mean I'm going to have to invest in some new hardware?

    Oops.
    Should have said Intervideo, which has InterActual features within it.
    http://player.interactual.com/default.asp?code=AP

    So contained in WinDVD, and PowerDVD as well. So, we don't know what the
    OP's movieplayer software is.

    "MAP" <mikepawlak2REM@OVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > InterActual is a program normally put on many DVD movies to allow a PC to
    > play a DVD movie.
    >
    > So Wrong!
    > --
    > Mike Pawlak
    >

    > "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    >
    > > InterActual is a program normally put on many DVD movies to allow a PC
    > > play a DVD movie.
    > >
    > > You could try going to add/remove programs. Remove InterActual. Then,
    put
    > > in a DVD movie with that program on it, and reinstall it.
    > >
    > > Many people use the 3rd party pay-for PowerDVD program instead.
    > >
    > > An errant program, yourself, or another user could have minimized some
    > > display setting. Preventing the display of full color/screen DVD
    movies.
    > > Reinstalling InterActual won't fix this.
    > >
    > > There are three steps in playing commercial DVD movies. One is the menu
    > > system. Another is decoding some of the DVD files that each contain a
    > > certain mpeg2. Both of these are done with the DVD movie playing
    software.
    > > And, finally, these are decoded and displayed. This last step is what
    the
    > > error message is referring to.
    > >
    > > "gort" <gort@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I just tried playing dvds on my dvd drive and nothing's happening.
    Real
    > > > Player is telling me that I don't have a dvd drive and when I try
    playing
    > > > dvds via InterActual I'm getting the message:
    > > >
    > > > 'Error PL4013: Playback failed due to a problem with the video
    subsystem.
    > > > You may be using an unsupported display mode or your system may not
    have a
    > > > working decoder installed. Please ensure that your DVD decoder is
    > > functioning
    > > > properly by launching it from Start | Programs.'
    > > >
    > > > I've tried playing cds and there are no problems. This has only just
    > > started
    > > > happening. Any ideas anyone?

DVD Drives Microsoft Decoder Windows XP