Identifying correct file extension

I have a few files - mostly images - where the file extension seems to be
wrong. Sometimes just renaming the extension to .jpg or .gif or .bmp works,
but it's trial & error.

Is there some kind of utility that'll open files and identify what type they
really are, and rename them accordingly?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about identifying correct file extension

    cranberry girl wrote:

    > I have a few files - mostly images - where the file extension seems to
    > be wrong. Sometimes just renaming the extension to .jpg or .gif or
    > .bmp works, but it's trial & error.
    >
    > Is there some kind of utility that'll open files and identify what
    > type they really are, and rename them accordingly?
    >
    > Thanks

    For images, the free IrfanView graphics program works very well. You can
    convert image files to other formats with it, too. Get it at:

    http://www.irfanview.com

    If you have other non-graphic files, you can look up the file extension
    here:

    http://filext.com/

    That will give you a clue as to what program(s) will open them.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Thanks!

    > cranberry girl wrote:
    >
    >> I have a few files - mostly images - where the file extension seems to
    >> be wrong. Sometimes just renaming the extension to .jpg or .gif or
    >> .bmp works, but it's trial & error.
    >>
    >> Is there some kind of utility that'll open files and identify what
    >> type they really are, and rename them accordingly?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > For images, the free IrfanView graphics program works very well. You can
    > convert image files to other formats with it, too. Get it at:
    >
    > http://www.irfanview.com
    >
    > If you have other non-graphic files, you can look up the file extension
    > here:
    >
    > http://filext.com/
    >
    > That will give you a clue as to what program(s) will open them.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Microsoft Extension File Extension Windows XP