Identifying correct file extension

I have a few files - mostly images - where the file extension seems to be
wrong. Sometimes just renaming the extension to .jpg or .gif or .bmp works,
but it's trial & error.

Is there some kind of utility that'll open files and identify what type they
really are, and rename them accordingly?

Thanks

Malke

cranberry girl wrote:

> I have a few files - mostly images - where the file extension seems to
> be wrong. Sometimes just renaming the extension to .jpg or .gif or
> .bmp works, but it's trial & error.
>
> Is there some kind of utility that'll open files and identify what
> type they really are, and rename them accordingly?
>
> Thanks

For images, the free IrfanView graphics program works very well. You can
convert image files to other formats with it, too. Get it at:

http://www.irfanview.com

If you have other non-graphic files, you can look up the file extension
here:

http://filext.com/

That will give you a clue as to what program(s) will open them.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com