Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hello, I have been using earphones for years and my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pros have failed. I have gone through 2 sets of Etymotic ER6 and now these, the UE Super.fi 5s have broken at one earbud and I will be sending in to get fixed. Though I know this is maddening, I also know it is just bad luck or possibly my own fault. However, I am beginning to think that earphones are just not for me, considering I keep breaking them. As you can tell this time has really hit home since I have religiously kept them in their metal container. So I am thinking about upgrading from earphones to full fledged headphones!

However, I have a problem. I am not naive enough to think that $250 headphones will be of the same quality as my $250 Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pros. So here is the question, I want equal quality to better quality than my previous set. I am sure at this point you are asking how can that be compared, well it really can not. However, what I want to know is how the quality of components and manufacturer of various headphones compare to my Ultimate Ear Super.fi 5 Pros. Also I would like to know the general quality of these various headphones in the headphone market compared to the general quality of the Super.fi 5 Pros. Once I know what price bracket and manufacturers to look at I can research until I find the one best for me.

Also, feel free to suggest headphones or ask questions or comment on anything you feel like. Honestly, I am relatively lost here and really need some help. I know what is generally good, but not what will compare to my Super.fi 5 Pro's.

Thank you for your time, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

Well, I haven't personally heard any of those, but I do own a pair of Sennheiser EH350's, and have heard (friend) some HD580s, and I like the overall sound of the Sennheisers very much. As for the Grados, they (from the ones I've heard) have a more open and light sound to them, slightly larger soundstage too. However, I found them rather uncomfortable. Also, the Sennheisers have replaceable cords (a feature which I have used), while the Grados do not. Those (comfort and the replaceable cords) were the main reasons I went with Sennheiser, but I do think the Grados sound a little better if you don't care as much about the cords (as for comfort, I really can't say anything other than simply try it - I know people who swear the Grados are the most comfortable things in the world, I just happen to disagree).

the 595's are excellent headphones, have had them for 2-3weeks now and the get better and better, true they could do with more bass when compared to my speakers but they have plenty enough for most music.

they also sound good straight out of my MD player.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/headphone-buyers-guide-271258/

always a good place to look for headphone advice. no need to post just search about and you will find good info.

earmonitors

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
This is Daniel East with Future Sonics. I was sent your post and wanted to just suggest you give us a shot.

We are the pro-audio manufacturers who originally developed the first personal monitors concept for recording studios, live concert stage, etc., and advanced consumers have discovered our products via the forums like Head-Fi, on TV, etc..

Essentially, you should really love the sound of whatever brand you buy. If you don't like them - return them. We just released our revision 2 of our critically acclaimed Atrio® professional earphones and they are really unique.

We design and manufacture our own drivers and products. We don't use hearing aid-type drivers. We present a very live energy and feel with more dynamics at a sub-$200 price-point that seems like you may enjoy checking out. No EQ or any "boost" effect needed at all. There is so much hype out there from big marketing companies, we feel like listening is your best way to find what you really like.

That said, if you don't like them - just send them back within 30 days for a refund. If this seems like it might be of interest, you can find them at your local dealer (or see our dealer page online for US, UK, etc.) or directly from us.

Thanks so much,

Daniel East
Future Sonics
http://www.futuresonics.com
877-374-EARS

press release re: new Atrio® m5 and m8
http://www.prweb.com/releases/futuresonics/atrioproearphones/prweb1037274.htm

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I am looking to change to headphones so...

Anyway I am well aware of Future Sonics and have recommended them countless times to my friends and 2 of them are using Future Sonics' products. It all comes down to what music you enjoy, and I felt the UE Super.fi 5 Pros were best for my heavy metal tastes. I will check out your new products, however, in case I decide against headphones.

Thanks, I love head-fi.org, but I preferred to come here to trusty old Tom's first.

earmonitors

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I'm glad to hear that TBR. Thanks for following up. I agree that the forums can be excellent. Please let me know if I can do anything that might be helpful.

Again, many thanks...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.