Sign in with
Your question

Norton Ghost failing to register components

Last response: in Business Computing
February 13, 2012 2:47:55 PM

Hey Guys,

Just got a quick question, i grabbed a few images from multiple machines in our office and when i try to drop the image on to a wiped machine it finishes dropping the image, reboots, and goes to the windows xp professional setup screen. I enter the correct information here, and it goes to the next screen, once it gets to the registering components section of the setup the computer restarts and ceases the setup. Once the restart is complete it brings me right back to the XP professional setup screen.

Thanks,
Matt
February 13, 2012 3:00:04 PM

The image will likely have to be the same hardware model. If you pulled the image off an Optiplex 990, you could only use that image on another 990 most likely.

Windows wraps itself around the HAL and uses select drivers when doing so. When you switch models (hardware platforms) the system is loading incorrect drivers and identifying with the HAL incorrectly which results in a crash/reboot.

I haven't touched Ghost in years, but prior to capturing an image there was once a trick with changing the HAL before the capture, then switching it back after it was done. This was back in the 2000/XP days.

If you're doing Win7, I'm not up to date Ghost issues. You may need to perform a different sysprep - can't guarentee it. I'm an SCCM/WAIK kinda guy.
February 13, 2012 3:02:21 PM

I did some checking. You're not using a WIM.. you're using Ghost's format. The WIM format allows for HAL independence. I'm almost certain you're hitting against the HAL issue. It was very common in the early ghost years to have multiple images on a CD or DVD, one for each model of hardware.

Moving to a WIM based image (MDT, WAIK, SCCM sits on top of those) you could use a single image and apply a WIM image without much concern for hardware or differing models.
Related resources
February 13, 2012 3:15:30 PM

hmmm....we're using an older version of ghost with the .gho format and XP, the image is for computers with same model/hardware. This is the one reason i was stumped, whenever i have previously taken images from computers with same specs i had no issues.
February 13, 2012 3:20:48 PM

I'd look to make sure the hardware was identical. I wonder if you have one system that was using the older hard drives and now you have one of the new ones? The.. advanced laying or whatever it is. I'm drawing a blank on it.
February 13, 2012 3:27:43 PM

computers are identical, just went through each part, the only difference i noticed was the sticks of ram were different brands, not sure if this would cause issues, they're both ddr3-1600mhz, 2x2gb.

Man if only i was on windows 7, this would be done in seconds.
February 13, 2012 4:48:54 PM

That's part of the push to go to Win7 over XP. Easier to manage. I love 7.. XP was great, but administering 7 rocks.
February 13, 2012 5:38:39 PM

Thanks for the help riser, going to rebuild computer from scratch and sysprep the master image again, may have messed up during that step, or the image file was corrupt.
February 13, 2012 6:15:20 PM

Check the hard drive to see if it has the new Advanced Format Hard Drive too. They lay down an image in a different format. The WIM resolves the issues but there might be an issue with lining up the image on the disk. For example, Dell started shipping the AFD Drives without notice... as simple as it is, you wouldn't notice until you specifically looked for it.
February 13, 2012 7:33:53 PM

Alright, i'll be giving that a check in the morning before i start rebuilding the PCs. Would it be printed on the actual hard drive? or bios?
February 13, 2012 7:55:07 PM

It would be in the BIOS or on the spec sheet. There is an option to turn it on/off.

Have you ever thought about using the WAIK with ImageX?
February 14, 2012 1:59:01 PM

Yah looks like there is none of that in the bios, had to go with rebuild method, think it was caused by a bunked sysprep of master image.
February 14, 2012 2:17:58 PM

I realise this is probably i bit late in the day to suggest this. but when i was trying a similar thing i found it almost as fast to install windows from scratch from USB stick - format it as NTFS.
You could use the windows deployment utilities to create an answer file and have the drivers ready in the USB stick and use the answer file to use the correct drivers. OK there is a bit of work to do to make and test the USB answer file method but ones this is done, duplicate the USB drive and its a massive time saver.

Regards
February 14, 2012 2:32:31 PM

Darn, thanks for the pointers but unfortunately i got started on the rebuilding of the machine, I will definitely keep this in mind for future imaging projects.
February 14, 2012 5:51:25 PM

A little over complicated :) 

You could simply build a WinXP image, put all the drivers on the OS for the main systems you're supporting, and then create a syspreped image. When it starts up it'll start installing the drivers. I would go with ImageX from WAIK though. The process is very simple.
!