Puter died...new OS...no drivers..what to do?

ArcticPrince

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
My daughters computer became so unstable that it was basically not usuable. A friend of hers reformated and tried to install XP w/SP3. The install seemed to have gone ok, but she has no drivers. Can't get on the net since the wireless adaptor has no driver. If I go into device manager under other devices it is all ??????

What now? She does not have any OEM discs and of course the previous reformat did away with any restore partition if there ever was one.

The system is a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Solution
You will have to get a hold of another computer or laptop and go to the dell website, using the service tag on the driver-less computer, download the wireless driver, put it on a pen drive then transfer it onto the driver-less pc.

I hope that helps.

remember to do the chipset of the computer, its quite a important driver :D

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
You will have to get a hold of another computer or laptop and go to the dell website, using the service tag on the driver-less computer, download the wireless driver, put it on a pen drive then transfer it onto the driver-less pc.

I hope that helps.

remember to do the chipset of the computer, its quite a important driver :D

Solution

alexinnes

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

No problem, just thought of something else. If you are struggling to find the driver on the dell site with the service tag, use a website called (http://netbump.com), to use this site you will have to get the ID of the hardware, to find this go to your device management window, right click on the piece of hardware and go to properties click on the details tab and then on the drop down menu go to hardware ID, use the top number but only up to the second &.
Use that in the netbump site and it should find you some drivers :)

Hope it helps