lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

good morning. I'm really quite embarrassed. About a week ago, I asked for
help in this forum . with regards to a login problem. The help I received,
was two go too . the user login screen , and set it so that I didn't have to
use a password. I was under the impression that it was also, the place where
I could set my login so that I didn't even have to click on an icon. My
computer was set up this way . a couple months ago. And I have no idea why
now . I have to click on an icon and sign in.

when I start my computer now, I get the Windows screen, and it tells me .
it's starting up Windows. It never leaves the screen. However, if I hit
alt/tab , a screen shows up saying, "administrator sign in ." it doesn't
allow me to enter a password. But I can click OK. Then I get the regular
login screen, with my icon, and I don't have to put in a password.

Since I've had to do this, everything on my computer has changed. Some of
my programs are missing. However, when I search for them, they are on my
computer.

I'm trying to find out, how do I see all the users on my computer. And how
do I make it so that I never have to click on an icon. Or, enter a password?

Regards: Scott

Are you logging in as *you* or the Administrator?

What pops up when you...

Paste this in the Start | Run box

%homepath%

and click OK.

Documents and Settings\Your Name
or
Documents and Settings\Administrator

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:3622675F-2B2E-49C5-ABC6-D6CA5C376E38@microsoft.com,
Lewis <Lewis@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> good morning. I'm really quite embarrassed. About a week ago, I asked
> for help in this forum . with regards to a login problem. The help I
> received, was two go too . the user login screen , and set it so that I
> didn't have to use a password. I was under the impression that it was
> also, the place where I could set my login so that I didn't even have to
> click on an icon. My computer was set up this way . a couple months ago.
> And I have no idea why now . I have to click on an icon and sign in.
>
> when I start my computer now, I get the Windows screen, and it tells me .
> it's starting up Windows. It never leaves the screen. However, if I hit
> alt/tab , a screen shows up saying, "administrator sign in ." it doesn't
> allow me to enter a password. But I can click OK. Then I get the regular
> login screen, with my icon, and I don't have to put in a password.
>
> Since I've had to do this, everything on my computer has changed. Some of
> my programs are missing. However, when I search for them, they are on my
> computer.
>
> I'm trying to find out, how do I see all the users on my computer. And
> how do I make it so that I never have to click on an icon. Or, enter a
> password?
>
> Regards: Scott

lewis

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2003

I did what you said and it showed a folder. I presume the name of that folder
is a " Login" . That is not what I click on to log onto my PC.
Wesley? I was logging in as me. My name was computer admistrator. There is
also a " Guest" option.

Like I said when I put what you said in " Run " a folder showed up. Has all
my stuff in it. Cool.

What I don't understand is....why when I start my PC it hangs on the screen
that says " Windows is starting up" Then I hit alt/tab and I can log in as
me, meaning the username I created. Cool.

Wesley? What is the folder that popped up when I did the run thing you asked?
For instance: in that folder is " My documents". Is that the same as when I
click on " Start/MyDocuments?"

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Are you logging in as *you* or the Administrator?
>
> What pops up when you...
>
> Paste this in the Start | Run box
>
> %homepath%
>
> and click OK.
>
> Documents and Settings\Your Name
> or
> Documents and Settings\Administrator
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:3622675F-2B2E-49C5-ABC6-D6CA5C376E38@microsoft.com,
> Lewis <Lewis@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > good morning. I'm really quite embarrassed. About a week ago, I asked
> > for help in this forum . with regards to a login problem. The help I
> > received, was two go too . the user login screen , and set it so that I
> > didn't have to use a password. I was under the impression that it was
> > also, the place where I could set my login so that I didn't even have to
> > click on an icon. My computer was set up this way . a couple months ago.
> > And I have no idea why now . I have to click on an icon and sign in.
> >
> > when I start my computer now, I get the Windows screen, and it tells me .
> > it's starting up Windows. It never leaves the screen. However, if I hit
> > alt/tab , a screen shows up saying, "administrator sign in ." it doesn't
> > allow me to enter a password. But I can click OK. Then I get the regular
> > login screen, with my icon, and I don't have to put in a password.
> >
> > Since I've had to do this, everything on my computer has changed. Some of
> > my programs are missing. However, when I search for them, they are on my
> > computer.
> >
> > I'm trying to find out, how do I see all the users on my computer. And
> > how do I make it so that I never have to click on an icon. Or, enter a
> > password?
> >
> > Regards: Scott

Lewis,

Try to stay in the original thread.

I am glad that the folder has all of your stuff in it. :)

I have no way of knowing what folder popped up. I asked you first.

%homepath% opens the Documents and Settings folder for whoever is logged in.

When you paste %homepath% in the Start | Run box and click OK, does the
Folder that pops up have the Address bar?

What is showing in the Address bar?

Documents and Settings\Your Name
or
Documents and Settings\Administrator

If the Address bar is not showing, to enable the address bar, click Toolbars
on the View menu and then click Address bar.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User