Upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to XP Professional

Hello,

I have a question:
I am using Windows XP Home edition. I want to use IIS and Windows XP Home
edition does not include IIS. Therefore, I'm trying to upgrade from XP home
edition to XP Professional. I have tried running the setup.exe from the
Windows Professional CD but it gives an "error: 70077, paramater
authorization failure" and I don't know why.

All I really need to know is what should I do now to upgrade from XP home
edition to XP professional? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Sur
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade windows home edition professional

    An upgrade to Windows XP Pro is a smooth transition will not affect your
    current programs or files if you use the following procedure:

    1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
    2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
    3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
    the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
    6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Sur" wrote:

    | Hello,
    |
    | I have a question:
    | I am using Windows XP Home edition. I want to use IIS and Windows XP Home
    | edition does not include IIS. Therefore, I'm trying to upgrade from XP home
    | edition to XP Professional. I have tried running the setup.exe from the
    | Windows Professional CD but it gives an "error: 70077, paramater
    | authorization failure" and I don't know why.
    |
    | All I really need to know is what should I do now to upgrade from XP home
    | edition to XP professional? Any help is appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Sur

Microsoft IIS Windows XP