MN100 and DHCP mode and switch

I just went with a cable modem service using DHCP coming from using PPPOE
DSL. I had to clone my mac address from the nic I use. I noticed that the
4 lan ports no longer act like a switch more like a hub now because when I
access internet they all blink instead of just the accessing PC. And I did
a soft reboot and a hard reboot and its the same. What does the above mean?
Thanks for responding.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

No they're still a switch, but now you don't have peer-
to-peer (i.e., one-on-one) connections with your ISP.

One of the differences in the algorithms between switches
and routers is how broadcasts are handled. Whenever a
device needs to send out information but doesn't know who
it should send it to, it sends out a broadcast. For
example, every time a new computer or other device comes
on to the network, it sends out a broadcast packet to
announce its presence. The other nodes (such as a domain
server) can add the computer to their browser list (kind
of like an address directory) and communicate directly
with that computer from that point on. Broadcasts are
used any time a device needs to make an announcement to
the rest of the network or is unsure of who the recipient
of the information should be.

A hub and/or a switch will pass along any broadcast
packets they receive to all the other segments in the
broadcast domain, but a router will not.

I can understand your point about DHCP.
But why does the MN100 lan ports now act like a hub instead of switch no
matter what application is being used on the PC. The only change I have is
going from PPPoE DSL to now DHCP cable internet. Before only one Lan port
per respective PC would blink when data was accessed now all blink when on
pc accesses the net.

"Ken" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> No they're still a switch, but now you don't have peer-
> to-peer (i.e., one-on-one) connections with your ISP.
>
> One of the differences in the algorithms between switches
> and routers is how broadcasts are handled. Whenever a
> device needs to send out information but doesn't know who
> it should send it to, it sends out a broadcast. For
> example, every time a new computer or other device comes
> on to the network, it sends out a broadcast packet to
> announce its presence. The other nodes (such as a domain
> server) can add the computer to their browser list (kind
> of like an address directory) and communicate directly
> with that computer from that point on. Broadcasts are
> used any time a device needs to make an announcement to
> the rest of the network or is unsure of who the recipient
> of the information should be.
>
> A hub and/or a switch will pass along any broadcast
> packets they receive to all the other segments in the
> broadcast domain, but a router will not.

That's because of the cloned MAC. The MAC addresses are
used to route the packets at the ethernet (physical) layer
and are expected to be unique (originally they were
supposed to be cast in the hardware and unchangeable)

With the cloned MAC, you have two devices with same MAC...
so the MN-100 gets confused. In other words, it does not
know on which line to send the data to reach a MAC address,
since there are two devices with the same MAC -- probably
the MS programmer set a failsafe mode when that happens and
just broadcasts all the data automatically.

Can you go to the NIC that you cloned and change its MAC
address? Many NICs allow this -- you should be able to get
to this data under Control Panel/System/Devices and look
for the network NIC...

As a side note, DHCP is simply a protocol to assign IP's to
network devices (or computers). It is only run very
sporadically to obtain an IP and renew leases -- DHCP
related logs should appear in the security logs of the
router. The broadcast problem has nothing to do with DHCP.

The cloned MAC address is for the WAN port of the router. The MN-100
is not going to be looking to route the data back to the WAN port. It
won't see the WAN port as a duplicated MAC address that is the same as
something on a LAN port.

The DHCP lease time is configurable. It isn't sporadic or random. It
works in a specific defined way.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:35:58 -0700, "lilo"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

So if its not looking for the route what causes the bahavior of the MN100's
4 lan ports to be a hub not a switch since I switched providers?

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The cloned MAC address is for the WAN port of the router. The MN-100
> is not going to be looking to route the data back to the WAN port. It
> won't see the WAN port as a duplicated MAC address that is the same as
> something on a LAN port.
>
> The DHCP lease time is configurable. It isn't sporadic or random. It
> works in a specific defined way.
>
> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:35:58 -0700, "lilo"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >With the cloned MAC, you have two devices with same MAC...
> >so the MN-100 gets confused. In other words, it does not
> >know on which line to send the data to reach a MAC address,
> >since there are two devices with the same MAC
>
> >As a side note, DHCP is simply a protocol to assign IP's to
> >network devices (or computers). It is only run very
> >sporadically to obtain an IP and renew leases -- DHCP
> >related logs should appear in the security logs of the
> >router. The broadcast problem has nothing to do with DHCP.
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

I don't see this behavior while connected to Comcast. Have you tried a
complete reset of the device and setting it up from scratch again?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Yes I have dont a complete reset and set up in DHCP mode with cloned mac
address. It continues to act like a hub. I remember once with DSL PPPoE
mode doing this and the reset helped but not this time with Comcast.
Could it be the cloned mac address? If I don't clone my connection won't
work.

> I don't see this behavior while connected to Comcast. Have you tried a
> complete reset of the device and setting it up from scratch again?
>
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:35:50 -0400, "Nikitas" <noemail@nospam.org>
> wrote:
>
> >So if its not looking for the route what causes the bahavior of the
MN100's
> >4 lan ports to be a hub not a switch since I switched providers?
> >

> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> The cloned MAC address is for the WAN port of the router. The MN-100
> >> is not going to be looking to route the data back to the WAN port. It
> >> won't see the WAN port as a duplicated MAC address that is the same as
> >> something on a LAN port.
> >>
> >> The DHCP lease time is configurable. It isn't sporadic or random. It
> >> works in a specific defined way.

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

It should not be the cloned connection. try another reset. also have
you power cycled the cable modem?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thank you Barb,
I did the reset without Cloning and now its behaving like a switch. I was
under the impression that cloning the nic card was needed since the comcast
tech set that up. My mistake. Thanks for your help.