Pc Speaker making the volume beep!?!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Well, not sure how long this has been doing this ( i dont usually do the volume control this way), but yesterday, i noticed that when i change the volume using the windows slider (click once on the speaker icon in the taskbar, and then left-click, and slide to a new volume), the usual sound card and "real" speaker produced tone is played by the PC speaker... a nice low tone comes out each time i click it.
dont know what is causing this, or how to fix it.
i tried reinstalling my sound card drivers, but that didnt do anything.
system specs:
Amd athlon 900 (oced to 1070, but didnt do this even overclocked)
256 megs pc2100 ddr
ECS k7s5a latest cheepobios (<A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com" target="_new">http://www.ocworkbench.com</A>)
40 gig maxtor d740x(nonquiet drive)
10gig maxtor 5400rpm
24x ikebana burner
16x liteon dvd
Hercules gamesurround fortissimo 2 DE (latest drivers from herc.)

if you need any more info...let me know.
oh yeah, running windows XP pro, with the beta SP....got from a friend...)

anyone have any ideas?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Lol.......that's one of the ways I check my sound, in fact I check there first if I have reason to believe I have no sound. If you don't like the feature u can go to Sound and Audio Devise Properties and uncheck for it won't show up in the task bar.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Hmmm

I dont think Jiffy understands your situation. If I understand correctly you dont want the sounds being played out of your PC speaker right?

If thats the case I would think about AUTOEXEC.BAT, Emulators, old games, thing like that.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Your right, I did misunderstand, but does it matter which speakers make the noise? I really don't see the problem, there are other ways to control the volume. Taking a shot in the dark I would think it was the mobo, but it's just a guess. I never heard of such.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I have the exact same problem and it made me crazy.
Just because of this I´m not using WindowsXP anymore.

Ehrm...not really :wink:
Well, It does make an annoying sound though.

<font color=red>Dopplereffekt</font color=red>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
it isnt annoying, i just wanted to know if this was normal..lol..
seems like it is, so i wont sweat it.
thanks a lot guys! :smile:

-DAvid

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Another thing I though of as well. Have you been disabling any services with Win XP?

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
only things i disabled in win xp was the auto clock updater, and the auto update thing. i used XP anti spy t do this.

-DAvid

pat

Expert
simple. Go to your sound properties-sound tab and make sure you are using some sound for your system first. Then, if you are at NO SOUND in the sounds model, then you should activate all of them and remove only those you dont want.

Because, if you are like me and want a silent computer, you must have turned off all the sound in sound properties so the system use the PC speakers for the volume, exactly as me.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
only my fortissimo2 is enabled...
and it is working...because i can play mp3s, other system sounds come out of the real speakers...
i can play games.
no problems.
im just not worrying about it...it just seems to be a nuisance... :wink:
but thanks for the input. :smile:

-DAvid

pat

Expert
If you can hear other system sound, then maybe it is only the 'default sound' in the option that is diseabled

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

TRENDING THREADS