rohit

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004

I have purchased a new laptp HP. It has xp Home on it and I want XP Pro for
the remote option. Can I use my OEM disk to upgrade ?

Malke

rohit wrote:

> I have purchased a new laptp HP. It has xp Home on it and I want XP
> Pro for the remote option. Can I use my OEM disk to upgrade ?

No, you would need to purchase a full retail XP Pro and do a clean
install, making sure that you had all the proprietary drivers and HP
software on hand first.

However, if all you want to do is have full RDP function, you can use
third-party software that doesn't require Pro. RealVNC (or TightVNC)
comes to mind and I believe it is free.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

In order to upgrade Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional,
you'll need to purchase a "Retail Version" of XP Pro. An "OEM Version" can
only be installed on a reformatted drive or partition.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rohit" wrote:

| I have purchased a new laptp HP. It has xp Home on it and I want XP Pro for
| the remote option. Can I use my OEM disk to upgrade ?

Alias

No, you have to do a clean install. OEMs won't upgrade.

--
Alias

"rohit" wrote

"rohit" <rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have purchased a new laptp HP. It has xp Home on it and I want XP Pro for
>the remote option. Can I use my OEM disk to upgrade ?

Contact the laptop manufacturer's customer service dept. They may be
able to offer you a solution at a reasonable price.

You cannot upgrade with an OEM disk. And even if you could doing so
would probably violate the end user license agreement terms for the
OEM license and, more importantly, would probably invalidate the
warranty on your laptop.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--