Newbie-Question about ancient/medievil wargaming in 15 mm

Hello group !

I would like to start playing games with 15 mm miniatures in the ancient /
medievil period.
I was wondering, wich rule-set will be best to start with. I thought, DBA
might be a good one.
What minis are best in casting.quality ?
Does anyone know a shop in Germany where Essex or Old Glory´s are sold ? I
would like to take a "real look" at them before I buy the stuff.

Thanks in advance !

Markus

In message <40e98d8f$0$20320$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net>,
Markus Steffen <markusssteffen@arcor.de> writes
>Hello group !
>
>I would like to start playing games with 15 mm miniatures in the ancient /
>medievil period.
>I was wondering, wich rule-set will be best to start with. I thought, DBA
>might be a good one.
>What minis are best in casting.quality ?
>Does anyone know a shop in Germany where Essex or Old Glory´s are sold ? I
>would like to take a "real look" at them before I buy the stuff.
>
>Thanks in advance !
>
>Markus

Markus,
I will leave the figure comparison to others - I like Museum and
Chariot, myself - but I would not personally suggest DBA or its big
brother DBM as starter rulesets. DBA is essentially a mini stylised
version of DBM, played on a small table with just a dozen elements a
side. There are some very nice concepts in these rules, and they were
truly revolutionary fifteen years ago, but they are written in a very
obscure style, intended to avoid the slightest ambiguity which a
rules-lawyer could exploit. They are also very dependent on knowing the
rules mechanisms - the exact spacing between lines or units, for
example, is crucial. It's no good just turning up and doing historical
things - you also have to manage the details or you will get wiped out
by someone who knows the game better than you do. Good tournament rules,
but not for starters. Warhammer Ancient Battles are easier to learn and
less "serious", though typically used with 25/28mm figures. Another
system that a lot of people like (and many hate) is Piquet - the
card-based activation mechanism is probably the most distinctive element
here. Armati is another system with some devotees - initiative is the
key here, with the army which wins initiative able to move first or
force its opponent to do so. A fairly simple points system (compared to
DBM anyway) and a split between heavy and light units makes army
selection fairly quick.
Personally I go back to the rule sets of the 80's - WRG 6th and 7th,
Newbury Rules, Shock of Impact. Very focussed on details of weaponry and
armour and unit type (regular/irregular, light/medium/heavy, close/open
order).
In the end, I'm afraid, it will come down to what suits you, and the
best bet is to find a group or groups who are playing different rules
and try them out. One last thing - in basing terms, DBM is pretty much a
standard, and most rulesets will be consistent with DBM, or at the least
not force you to rebase. So you can start to collect and assemble your
armies without having to commit to a particular set of rules.
--
John Secker

I think DBA would be a good starting point. There are plenty of
resources now for new players to help them fiugre things -- DBAOL, the
free online version; fanaticus.org, with a ton of friendly users in the
forums and lots of articles; and the DBA yahoo group, again with many
patient, helpful users. DBA is easy to learn and every DBA player I
know prefers it to DBM. Although the author himslef sees DBA as a
"starter" set to get you into DBM, there is no need to add the complexity.

DBA is also great for beginners because small armies of 12 elements are
affordable and can be painted quickly. If you like bigger battles,
there are option rules to multiply the game into 2, 3 or more 12-element
armies to a side.

WAB is not bad for beginners either but you really need a lot of figures
to get going, and from what I can tell most players use 28mm figures.

"Markus Steffen" <markusssteffen@arcor.de> wrote in message

> I would like to start playing games with 15 mm miniatures in the ancient /
> medievil period.
> I was wondering, wich rule-set will be best to start with. I thought, DBA
> might be a good one.

DBA is a good start, the rules are simple and armies are tiny. There is even
a free computerised version of DBA available so you can try it out and see
if you like it. If it turns out you don't like it eventually, then stuff
based for DBA can be used for myriad other ancient rulesets. The original
version of DBA (DBSA) is also available free:

http://www.geocities.com/stendaswargames/dbsa.htm

Cheers
Martin

Can I suggest you contact Attic Tabletop

http://www.attic-tabletop.de/

--
Justin Taylor
justin@hellou2.fsnet.co.uk

I would like to thank you all for your help and your answers !

With kind regards !

Markus Steffen